Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't reach an IP that's directly connected

Greetings,

We have a device on our network that is directly connected that I'm unable to ping or trace to from my desktop. The device is our email server, or more specific, it's how we replicate our datastores to the failover in another location. I've attached our switch configuration.

Our workstations are on a 10.20.102.0/24 and 10.20.104.0/24 network. The address of the mail server is 10.20.100.100. It is directly connected to our core switch, which is configured with BGP and has 10.20.100.0 configured as a network. I can ping and trace to the 10.20.100.100 address from the switch.

Thanks,

chris

5 Replies 5

Hello

I assume these clients are connected to another access switch which is hanging off this core switch, if so,

Do you know which interface this access switch is connected to of the name of it?

Do you know which interface the server is connected to?

Are you able to ping other devices in other vlans from the workstations?

Can you post the outputs from the core and the access switch

Sh int trunk

sh cdp neigbours

Sh vlan brief

Sh log

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul, thanks for the quick response.  The server is actually a virtual machine and it's directly connected to the core switch. No access switch. Attached is the requested info.

Hello Chris,

Are you saying all clients having issue are directly connected to the core or just this virtual server?

Also you haven't stated what interface the Virtual server is connected too?

I can see from the outputs you have posted that spanning tree on the trunk link connection from core switch gig0/50 connecting to sw00-3560-02 gig0/49 is only allowing  vlan 10,172

Is this the switch the clients that cannot ping the server are located?

Also your core switch logs are reporting a traceback error - cisco output interpreter suggests this:

%IP-3-LOOPPAK (x1): Looping packet detected and dropped - src=[int], dst=[int],hl=[int], tl=[int], prot=[int], sport=[int], dport=[int] in=[chars], nexthop=[int],out=[chars]options=[chars]Explanation: A looping packet has been detected. A very common cause is misconfiguration
of an IP  helper address. The helper address should be the same address as that
of the server of the intended  service. Putting the address of the router in the
helper address causes a routing loop to be created.

Recommended Action: Analyze the source and destination addresses of the looped
packets and verify  that the configuration of the IP helper addresses in the router
is correctly pointing to the proper  device and is not pointing to the router itself.

On the switches

sw00-3560-01 and sw00-3560-02

can you post :

sh spanning-tree summary

sh spanning-tree vlan 4,10,104

sh spanning-tree blockedports

and on sw00-3560-02 also

Sh int trunk

sh cdp neigbours

Sh vlan brief

Sh log

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul,

This virtual machine is the only one we're having problems with. All other servers are on a 10.20.102.0 network. Workstations/clients are connected to one of 4 switches--

SW00-3560-01

SW00-3560-02

SW00-3560-03

SW00-3560-04

All of these are on a vtp domain - SECFED. Workstations are on either VLAN10 (10.20.102.1) or VLAN104 (10.20.104.1).

I'll try to find out which ports the virtual machine is connected to, however, each of our three vm hosts have six cards plugging into the network for availability.

I've checked the ip helper address and the IP address is configured our DHCP server. On a couple of interfaces, it was the old DHCP server, so that address got changed.

I've attached the requested information.

I'll be out the rest of today, but will pick back up first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

The device is plugged into another switch. Interface g0/14. I've attached the config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card