cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping from switch to router but can ping from devices to switch.

joe.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, on packet tracer I have made a VLAN. My 4 Client devices in the VLAN can ping the switch. I can't ping from a client device to the router through the switch though. The link to the router comes out of Fast Ethernet 0/5 on the switch and into Fast Ethernet 0/0 on the router. I've enabled the interfaces and made a default gateway on the router's Fast Ethernet 0/0. I've given this gateway to all the devices in the VLAN. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I can ping the switch from an end device but not the gateway from an end device.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

based on the information On the Router you need to add a static route back to switch

example 

ip route 192.168.16.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.X ( X is the switch side IP address directly connected to router)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You can attach your PT file here but it must be in a zip format; we can fix it but also corrected as this is not usually how are things are done and work.

you have L2 switch who is L2 but not L3 which is for routing. L2 switch can have 1 interface vlan x up state with IP in order to get to switch and manage /configure it. PCs connected to L2 switch should not have it as default gateway; it should be L3 device.  Here, you must have all devices on the same network and PCs with IP of router as def. gate.  If you want to have multiple vlans, you must use concept of ROAS - router on a stick. 

L3 switch can do routing just like routers.   L3 can have many interface vlan x up and up and do routing for PCs instead of a router.  One of those interface vlan x can be used to connect and route to a router upstream. L3 can exchange routes via routing protocol.  PCs can use L3 as def. gate.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hi, I have now added a L3 switch as a central switch but I am still having trouble pinging packets from my original switch to the L3 switch. And I'm not able to ping packets between my gateway and the L3 switch yet either. many thanks if you are able to let me know what config has been done wrong..

First of all, a typo with def.gateway. PCs should have def. gate on the same network.  def. gate is used to go outside its own network. Remember that 1st ping  may fail as it sends ARP not ICMP.  If 2nd ping fails, network does not work.

once you fix that PCs can ping L2 and L3 switch

Note: some L3 sw comes with ip routing enabled but some of them don't. yours do not have it on, so turn it on.

I will add some options  for your PT file soon But as always you should try to figure out things by yourself first !

Regards, ML

**We could solve this for you but then you will not learn anything; what's purpose in that? **

i often edit my post with new info , so refresh browser and check my latest reply for more info

interface Vlan10 on router is special case. 1800, 1900, and any routers with add-on switching module was made for small home business or home office. it is like a switch and a router in one box.  Switching module is for adding PCs or end devices and then routing happens between internal fixed interface of a router and router SVI interface Vlan X.  An interface Vlan is called SVIs on routers and switches.

I will add some options  for your PT file soon But as always you should try to figure out things by yourself first !

Note: some L3 sw comes with ip routing enabled but some of them don't. yours do not have it on, so turn it on.

Regards, ML

**We could solve this for you but then you will not learn anything; what's purpose in that? **

Thanks:) I've enabled IP routing on the L3 switch through the CLI; I'm hoping that I can get to the point where I can connect the default gateway to a WAN but for that I think I will need to use RIP or a routing protocol. I'm looking into RIP right now.

I've swapped the default gateway router into a PT-router and enabled the interfaces. I'm still trying to get my switches to pass packets; Is the reason the packets cant get past my switches because the default gateway is a 192.168.15 IP address and the devices on the switch are 192.168.16 addresses? 

probably, I would have to look at what you have right; But first, take look at my 3 variants and study them; 

also i added 4 scenarios for pings.   most of pings are ok but i added an issue to each variant so that you can troubleshoot.

you should be able to solve it based on settings of and for others.

What is not included is ROAS (router with L2 sw and multiple vlans)

Note:this is rush job so things may not work , so let me know

also, I should have renamed devices so that easy to follow.

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card