cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot set tunnel destination IP

Minuit
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to tunnel between two routers however i cannot use IP addresses at all for either source or destination. Currently i have the source set to fa0/1 to combat this however i cannot set the destination ip at all. this also occurs with hostnames in destination. Using 1841 and the advanced IP ios version

Router>enable

Router#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#ipv6 unicast-routing

Router(config)#interface tunnel 0

Router(config-if)#

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Tunnel0, changed state to up

Router(config-if)#ipv6 address 2002::10/64 eui-64

Router(config-if)#ipv6 enable

Router(config-if)#tunnel source FastEthernet0/1

Router(config-if)#tunnel destination 2001::20

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't see it listed as supported under feature only standard ip6 tunnel to ipv4 , only the ios-xe docs refer to that command too , the older ios docs don't mention that syntax .

One thing I would try is set tunnel mode ipv6 then try tunnel destination ipv6 just to see if it shows up but unlikely , if that doesn't work sorry I have no other options but use ios-xe

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Minuit
Level 1
Level 1
after more investigation i can set ipv4 addresses just not ipv6, any reason for this?

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Should work I just tested it on one of my routers that's the way its enabled ,Your software definitely supports ipv6 under GRE , does it show an option for ipv6 when checking , tunnel destination ? with help

xxxxxxxxxxx(config-if)#tunnel destination ?
  Hostname or A.B.C.D  ip address or host name
  X:X:X:X::X           IPv6 address
  dynamic              destination dynamic

!
interface Tunnel212
 no ip address
 ipv6 enable
 tunnel destination 2001:DB8:85A3::8A2E:370:7334
end

Tried your address too and it worked

interface Tunnel212
 no ip address
 ipv6 enable
 tunnel destination 2001::20
end

FROM dOC

Example: Configuring GRE IPv6 Tunnels

The following example shows how to configure a GRE tunnel over an IPv6 transport. In this example, Ethernet0/0 has an IPv6 address, and this is the source address used by the tunnel interface. The destination IPv6 address of the tunnel is specified directly. In this example, the tunnel carries both IPv4 and IS-IS traffic.

interface Tunnel0
 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip router isis 
 tunnel source Ethernet0/0
 tunnel destination 2001:DB8:1111:2222::1
 tunnel mode gre ipv6
!
interface Ethernet0/0
 no ip address
 ipv6 address 2001:DB8:1111:1111::1/64
!
router isis 
 net 49.0001.0000.0000.000a.00

ok, ran this command and only got ipv4 (A.b.c.d).

I am not using gre. I am using VTI as outline in this document: Here

That's an IOS-XE doc your looking at , your on an IOS based router 1841 , different syntax not supported , I checked a ISR 4k router which is why its showing up in mine

I checked a 1900 I have which is IOS based too I don't see it there either , so it may be specific to the newer routers which all run IOS-XE now

You could also check the feature navigator online for the software that will tell you what exact commands are there too per license but its not looking good if its not in ? statement

ok so theres no way to enable this? if so should i switch over to isr 4321?

if you have a 4321 there it will work definitely IOS-XE based , let me check the navigator see if its there for any IOS on 1841

I don't see it listed as supported under feature only standard ip6 tunnel to ipv4 , only the ios-xe docs refer to that command too , the older ios docs don't mention that syntax .

One thing I would try is set tunnel mode ipv6 then try tunnel destination ipv6 just to see if it shows up but unlikely , if that doesn't work sorry I have no other options but use ios-xe

thanks for your help, tunnel mode doesnt change anything, will have to switch over
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card