cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant input anything during password recovery

jsherman31
Level 1
Level 1

So using a cisco catalyst 2960x during a network outage, I'm trying to connect via console to switch but old IT guy didn't note the password. I can type just fine via console but when I unplug > plug in > press and hold mode until I see "console usb init" it brings up switch: 

From here I'm suppose to type flash_init but I can't type anything at all. Again I can type normally just fine on that same switch at the login. I've tried different console settings, I was using putty but same issue on a different emulator. Tried external keyboard, on screen keyboard, nothing it just won't type 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i suspect this could be console cable or settings in putty

1. make sure the cable works as expected.

2. on putty - make sure partiy - NONE and Flow-control None

Also can you post complete boot logs until you get switch: (prompt)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i suspect this could be console cable or settings in putty

1. make sure the cable works as expected.

2. on putty - make sure partiy - NONE and Flow-control None

Also can you post complete boot logs until you get switch: (prompt)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandiThank you. So on top of those settings, i had to force local echo and local line editing to "on" and i had mistakingly thought that the settings i changed in putty were overall and not per session. So before I started the sessions, i made the changes, along with the changes you suggested and when i got to the "switch:" prompt it worked. Just thought it was weird because when i initially console in, it types fine so I didn't think i had to make any changes. Again, thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card