cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 2960C

Jelani_DTE_PRO
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday, I configured a 2960C switch to make part of my lab. Initially, I created a VLAN...an SVI for that VLAN and assigned it an IP Address...assigned an access port to that VLAN...and, configured a default gateway. I connected my laptop to the access port, after manually assigning it an IP Address. However, I wasn't able to ping my gateway or the IP Address of the SVI. Oh! I also configured a trunk port on my 2960C, and made the newly created VLAN native.

After that failed test, I removed the native VLAN configuration off the trunk port; and, configured the access port to access VLAN 1...instead of the newly created VLAN. At that point, I was able to successfully ping my gateway and the IP Address of the SVI 1 interface, from my laptop.

Any ideas, why this might be the case...before I lab it up and try figuring it out? :)

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are connecting your laptop to a port on the switch, the port needs to be configured as access port. Now, the port could be in default vlan (vlan1) or any other vlan e,g 10, 20 and so on. They only time you need a trunk is when you have multiple vlans on the same port.

HTH

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Jelani_DTE_PRO 

Could you reconfigure the mentioned parameters and attach the entered settings?
In addition, you must verify the IP configured on your PC is within the segment of the IP configured in the SVI.

Regards

Jelani_DTE_PRO
Level 1
Level 1

These, were part of the initial config (with the exception of the missing native VLAN config, on my trunk port). And, from my laptop; which, was part of the 10.0.0.0/24 network, I was unable to ping the gateway or the address of my SVI. But, after I removed the native VLAN (34) off of my trunk port and removed access to vlan 34 from fa0/34, I was able to ping the gateway and SVI address of vlan 1...after 10.0.0.88, was removed from vlan 34 and added to vlan 1.

interface FastEthernet0/34
switchport access vlan 34
switchport mode access

interface FastEthernet0/48
switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan34
ip address 10.0.0.88 255.255.255.0

Hello @Jelani_DTE_PRO

Did you created a L2 vlan in your device as well? Because if you just create it a L3 interface vlan, it wont work.

Try to create a L2 and L3 vlan with id 34 as you need and test again.

sw(config): vlan 34
sw(config): interface vlan 34
sw(config-if): ip address 10.0.0.88 255.255.255.0
sw(config): interface FastEthernet0/34
sw(config-if): switchport access vlan 34
sw(config-if): switchport mode access

input your pc in F0/34 with ip address in the same network as your vlan 34.

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hello @Jaderson Pessoa .

I did configure an L2 VLAN, during that time. That's how I was able to configure fa0/34, to access it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card