cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 VSS - Line Card removal

oregonmutual
Level 1
Level 1

I have a quick question for which I can't seem to find any documentation for.  We currently have two 6509's running in VSS, both switches have a  WS-6748-GE module in slot 3.  I'm in the processing of removing these modules.  I will then be replacing them with a different module type, but I need to know how to remove the old configuration of the previous modules. Can anybody point me in the direction of some documentation that goes over these steps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have to use this command to remove it:

no module provision {switch)

Here is the command reference guide for provisioning and unprovisioning modules:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/vswitch/command/reference/vs_01.html#wp1207337

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You have to use this command to remove it:

no module provision {switch)

Here is the command reference guide for provisioning and unprovisioning modules:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/vswitch/command/reference/vs_01.html#wp1207337

HTH

Reza

plgingembre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reza,

I don't understand how the "no module provision switch x" will remove only one slot among others. Don't you think you have to enter the module provision switch x and after clear the module with a no slot x...?

Do you know if there is any impact when typing the no slot command on the VSS cluster ? I have to remove one old line card on a chassis in production and I don't want to impact the traffic.

Thanks

Pierre-Louis

Hi,

Do you know if there is any impact when typing the no slot command on  the VSS cluster ? I have to remove one old line card on a chassis in  production and I don't want to impact the traffic.

It will not have any impact, it will only remove the module that does not exist on the switch anymore.

for example

when you type "no module provision switch 1"

There will a message asking you "are you sure you want to do this" and if you type yes, it will only remove the card that does not exist on the switch.

I know, this command is scary, as it does not give you an option to type slot number after the switch, but it doesn't harm anything.

I have asked Cisco to fix this and put a module after the switch, so people don't think all modules will be removed.

HTH

Thanks Reza for this quick answer.

I will try it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help, I confirm, this command is not scary but not in the good place if we really think about it. If you manage to get the chnage from Cisco about a no slot command, obviously it will be better and will certainly eliminate confusion...

Pierre-Louis

Type:

module provision switch 1

then no slot x ...

Use the output of show run to determine the exact syntax for the no slot ...

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card