cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT9K FTP Client

luke.brooker1
Level 1
Level 1

Is there something different about the FTP client on CAT9K (in my case im using C9410R) compared to other / older Cisco equipment. I usually upload a new IOS version using FTP, and i haven't been able to successfully do that on a CAT9K. In the example below, i can show that the same copy FTP command that works on a nexus switch, does not work on my CAT9K;

Nexus_Device# copy ftp://user:pass@10.1.243.141/cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin bootflash:/
Enter vrf (If no input, current vrf 'default' is considered): 
[###                      ]         2.88MB^C    << Here it is copying the FTP File down
receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
Copy failed. Removing file cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin

CAT9K_Device#copy ftp://user:pass@10.1.243.141/cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin bootflash:/
Destination filename [cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin]? 
Accessing ftp://*:*@10.1.243.141/cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin...
%Error opening ftp://*:*@10.1.243.141/cat9k_iosxe.17.06.03.SPA.bin (Timed out)

Note - user:pass has been swapped out for this example - in reality i am using a proper and correct user and password for my FTP server.

Note - i know a CAT9K IOS wont work on a Nexus, im just showing that the same FTP command is successful on the Nexus and unsuccessful on the CAT9K.

I can packet capture on my host which is running the FTP server, and i see the connection come in from the CAT9K, but it never starts transferring the data. There is a firewall in the path, but i administer the firewall and the same rule that permits the Nexus also permits the CAT9K to my FTP server. There are no deny'd packets relating to FTP for either switch on my Firewall.

Any idea's on this would be appreciated ! thanks

5 Replies 5

luke.brooker1
Level 1
Level 1
I found this log in my FTP server - it seems to just sit there for 30 Sec after login and then disconnect

ftp log.jpg

Go to the FTP setting and extend the time out seconds I think by default its 20Sec.

find the attached snap for the reference.

Thanks,
Jitendra

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

I am not sure what the default FTP mode is on the Cat9K, try and set it to 'passive':

cat9k(config)#ip ftp passive

luke.brooker1
Level 1
Level 1

I ended up using TFTP to transfer the image, which worked fine. I tried some of the suggestions above and none seemed to help.

Thanks all !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card