cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960/3560/3750 AutoQoS Question

jguemes
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen that when configuring AutoQoS on a Cat 2960 / 3560 / 3750 the default for queue-set 1 is changed but not for queue-set 2, and when applying an Auto QoS command to an interface, queue-set 1 is configured for a Fastethernet interface but queue-set 2 for a Gigabit interface.

I can´t figure out why is it. It is supossed that Gigabit interfaces suports all accumulative traffic (link to the backbone) and that a more accurate QoS configuration is needed for that kind of links.

Does anyone know te reason for this? I don´t think it´s an IOS programmer mistake.

I'm using IOS 12.2(55)SE3 and auto qos srnd4.

Regards.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the interface capabilities, if they have 4Q3T, it would use queue-set 1

If they have 1P3Q3T, they would use queue-set 2

You can find out the queue type with the command:

show interface x/x capabilities

Hi Edison:

Thanks for the answer but I can´t agree:

On a Cat 2960 model WS-C2960-48PST-L all the interfaces appears as 4Q3T, Gigabit or Fast ethernet, but the config generated by auto qos trust cos is different (output from debug auto qos):

Gigabit:

Jun 18 10:49:26:   mls qos trust cos

Jun 18 10:49:26:  no queue-set 1

Jun 18 10:49:26:   queue-set 2

Jun 18 10:49:26:  priority-queue out

Jun 18 10:49:26:  srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

FastEthernet:

Jun 18 10:47:03:   mls qos trust cos

Jun 18 10:47:04:  no queue-set 1

Jun 18 10:47:04:  priority-queue out

Jun 18 10:47:04:  srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

Regards.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I think you may already answered your own question.  Using different queue sets for FastE vs. GigE allows different resource allocation for the two different bandwidths.  Everything else being equal, BDP (bandwidth delay product) is larger for GigE hence to support it correctly requires larger buffers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card