cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-48

otzispadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if this switch is capable of being a backbone switch for a network of about 1000+ users and if the switch can handle a sustained 30Meg of data going across it?

3 Replies 3

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I would advise against the use of a 2960 as the core of a 1000 user network. The total forwarding capacity of a 2960G is 32Gbps. So 16 ports operating at full rate will max it out. If you stepped the switch up to say a 3750-X the forwarding rate would be 160Gbps, this would greatly decrease the chance of congestion at the core.

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

2960 for a 1000+ user definitely a no no.  I really think if you are going to have that many users look into a 4000 series chassis switch.

david contreras
Level 1
Level 1

You say you only need 30Mbp/s of sustained bandwidth.  Get a pair of 2960's for redundancy to build a cheap/inexpensive network.  Make sure you have RSTP running, port-channel between switches, etc. 

How many switches do you have currently connnecting the 1000 users?

or is this new?

If its new, do you already have switches for the users?  if so what kind are they?  I dont know how friendly Ciscos RSTP is with other switches or even the port-channeling.  You will need all cisco switches to insure you dont have problems running this type of network.

Any servers needed?

If you have the $ get a chassis with redundant sups/power/etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card