Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-CX - Can't detect USB drive

HeKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to load a config file from a USB drive.
When I try to connect the USB Stick with the 2960 switch I get the following error:

%USB_HOST_STACK-5-USB_ENUM_FAIL_GETDESCR: Failed to enumerate a USB device as not able to read the device's description.

I've tried reformatting the drive multiple times (FAT32, NTFS both don't work) and I couldn't find any Information regarding this error.

Switch#show version
Cisco IOS Software, C2960CX Software (C2960CX-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(7)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2019 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 23-Mar-19 09:05 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2960CX boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960CX Boot Loader (C2960CX-HBOOT-M) Version 15.2(6r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Switch Ports Model                     SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----                     ----------            ----------
*    1 12    WS-C2960CX-8PC-L          15.2(7)E              C2960CX-UNIVERSALK9-M

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Get a different brand of USB flash drive.

Hi @Leo Laohoo ,

I've tried using a different brand, with no luck. The same drive works perfectly fine on a 9200 Switch.

Hi

Check the following link, try to use: usbflash1

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver?isHttpsRedirect=true&blogId=byunkook&logNo=221521143294

Regards 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi @Julio E. Moisa ,

I can't access this command, since the switch won't really detect the drive at all. The moment i plug the stick into the switch, i get the error mentioned above.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @HeKay,

As concerned FAT16 (<4Gb) was Ok on this Cisco SW model.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

HeKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello M02@rt37 ,

I've just tried formatting the drive as FAT16, which doesn't work either. I get the same error.

I've also tried previously using the same Stick on a 9200 Switch, which was instantly detected and worked perfectly fine. So the drive itself works well.

Best regards

Ok @HeKay,

same USB on an other C2960 but an other IOS version ? Do you have that?

Best regards

Unfortunately not. I can't upgrade the version either, since the Switch won't accept any drives

HeKay
Level 1
Level 1

Further Update:

I've tried another drive from a different brand, formatted it to both FAT32 and FAT16 and both times i got the following error:

May 4 13:42:15.532: %USB_HOST_STACK-3-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_FAILED: USB flash failed to pass 'Ready' test.
May 4 13:42:15.532: %USBFLASH-3-DEVSTARTSTOP: usbflash0 MSCD_StartStop failure in usbflash_mscd_scsi_listener!

Could it be possible that the Switch won't accept any drives above USB 2.0?

Yes @HeKay, it's possible ! You can test with a good one ?

Best regards

@HeKay wrote:
May 4 13:42:15.532: %USB_HOST_STACK-3-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_FAILED: USB flash failed to pass 'Ready' test.

This means the USB flash is of a different "type".  

Try a different brand and a different size.

This was probably the solution for me - switching from a "brand new" USB flash to an "older" one. I do not know exactly what USB version the two flashes I used had.

Maybe you could set this post as the solution?Just to make it even easier for others (including me) in the future.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card