Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960 PoE-48 Switch Issues After Water Exposure

arsenzhanasbay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a Catalyst 2960 series PoE-48 switch that was exposed to water during a rainstorm. The switch was located in a cross-connect cabinet under an open window, and several security cameras were connected to it. Since the incident, the cameras have stopped functioning.

Current Symptoms:

• The switch's fan is very noisy.
  • All indicators go off, and port indicators freeze.
  • Occasionally, when the fan is not noisy, the necessary indicators (like SYST) light up correctly, but this is rare.

Could anyone advise on where I should start looking to diagnose this issue? Is it possible to repair this on my own, or should I consider replacing the switch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies 3

@arsenzhanasbay hi, if it got exposed to water there can be many circuit shorts and that can lead to component failures. specially the POE power. i suggest you to go to replacement. also this model is old and better move to recent model with support.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...The switch's fan is very noisy.
  - Usually that means that it's a fatal hardware problem as result of the water exposure.
    You may try to attach a console and have a cold start (power off/on) and check if there are any outputs on the console
    Last gasp actions could be factory reset , but I would not expect too much from that , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "sh post".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card