cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 vlan trunks over etherchannel

bsternfield
Level 1
Level 1

I'm configuring two etherchannel groups (2 ports in each) on a 3560 switch.  I need to trunk multiple vlans over each channel group.

I created the vlan trunks and allowed vlans on each physical interface.  I notice that I can also configure the vlan trunks on the port-channel interfaces that were created. Should I configure them under those interfaces, or leave them on the physical interfaces?  Relevant config is below:

---------------------------------------------------------

interface Port-channel1

!

interface Port-channel2

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,7,9

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/3

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 2 mode active

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/4

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 2 mode active

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

configure whatever attribute you need for the links under the Po1 and Po2 interfaces, whats important here is that all your physical links in a boundle have the same characteristic (L2, L3, etc). The rest is to be done under port channel int when created.

"After you configure an EtherChannel, configuration changes applied to the port-channel interface apply to all the physical ports assigned to the port-channel interface. Configuration changes applied to the physical port affect only the port where you apply the configuration. To change the parameters of all ports in an EtherChannel, apply configuration commands to the port-channel interface."

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

configure whatever attribute you need for the links under the Po1 and Po2 interfaces, whats important here is that all your physical links in a boundle have the same characteristic (L2, L3, etc). The rest is to be done under port channel int when created.

"After you configure an EtherChannel, configuration changes applied to the port-channel interface apply to all the physical ports assigned to the port-channel interface. Configuration changes applied to the physical port affect only the port where you apply the configuration. To change the parameters of all ports in an EtherChannel, apply configuration commands to the port-channel interface."

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card