cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 Multicast VLAN Routing

MPAdams2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a network with several catalyst 2960 switches and one catalyst 3750. I have created two VLAN and set up the proper routing and everything is working fine there. I have a client/server application that used multicast in the initial start up for the client to determine available servers, the issue is one of my clients is on a different VLAN then the server. I am able to route the multicast using MVR as long as both the server and the client are plugged into the 3750 by creating a static route, making the server a source port and the client a receive port. Unfortunately I need the client and the server plugged in to different 2960s. My question is how do I establish multicast routing between the two and perferably do it dynamically (always route multicast traffic from one VLAN to another). Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have 2 vlans on the 3750, than enable IGMP on the 2960s and also PIM on both vlans under the SVI interfaces on the 3750.  Then you don't need to configure static multicast, it will work dynamically.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have 2 vlans on the 3750, than enable IGMP on the 2960s and also PIM on both vlans under the SVI interfaces on the 3750.  Then you don't need to configure static multicast, it will work dynamically.

HTH

I thought I had done that but I went back and configured the Auto-RP on the 3750 and it seems to fix the issue, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card