Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3k smart licensing query

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I'm working on migrating a number of Catalyst 3650s from rtu to smart licencing. I'm using SSM on-prem and have successfully carried out a test Device Led Conversion for an ipbase licenced 3650. Prior to the conversion, the switch's RTU licencing looked like:

Slot# License Name Type Period left
----------------------------------------------------
1 ipbase Permanent Lifetime

On the production network, a large number of switches were purchased as lanbase with an ipbase rtu upgrade. Their rtu licencing looks like:

Slot# License Name Type Period left
1 ipbase Permanent Lifetime
1 lanbase Permanent Lifetime

Will this cause any issues with a Device Led Conversion when migrating to smart licencing? Will cisco SSM just accept these as ipbase or do I have to provide proof of purchase (I don't have PAKs for the ipbase rtu upgrades)

Thanks
Andy

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A new device smart License automatically pickup with serial number for the license as per my knowledge.

since ipbase is more featured than lanbase, personally you should not worry about the license part, as long as they installed and working.

Since you have SSM, the information automatically replicated to cisco portal.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the reply. I thought SSM would enforce the license level purchased. SSM lists the converted ipbase license as "prepaid" for billing - with the lanbase (upgraded to ipbase under rtu) switches, how would SSM know that the ipbase licensing had actually been purchased? I'll try and test this with an upgraded lanbase switch to see what happens.

cheers

Andy

I managed to find a spare WS-C3850-48P which was purchased originally as lanbase (ipbase licence upgrade purchased at a later date).

I carried out a Device Led Conversion for the 3850 (ipbase licensing enabled) and the SSM virtual account is reporting "insufficient licenses" and Purchased as zero for c3850_48_ipbase.

ssm.png

The 2 c3650_48_ipbase licenses listed on SSM came from 2 3650s purchased as ipbase. So it does appear that you have to somehow show proof of purchase when registering switches purchased as lanbase but which are now using a higher a license level.

Cheers

Andy

I contacted Cisco Licensing - they stated that during DLC migration, all configured RTU licenses should be converted. This wasn't the case with the lanbase 3650 (with ipbase activated) so Cisco manually added the ipbase license to the smart account.

Andy

hello, 

Have the same issue , how cisco added the license manually  to the smart account please.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card