cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500 IOS to IOS XE command compatibility check?

Thomas Park
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day.

I will be performing 4500 non-E chassis to 4500E chassis upgrade this week.

non-E chassis has IOS 12.2 running on it while 4500E will have IOS-XE 3.2.5SG code running. Is there any website where I can paste the IOS configuration to see if they are compatible on IOS XE code?

Thank you, sir.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no website or tool that I'm aware of to do such a pre-upgrade check for IOS to IOS-XE. That said, I've done several without issue. Just about all old commands carry forward.

One thing indirectly command-related is to make sure you have the same license level on the new switch (i.e. lanbase, ipbase or ipservices). If your new switch has a lower license level and you were using features that require the higher license level on the old switch, those commands won't be parsed on the new one because the features aren't available without the necessary license.

To verify, you should connect to the physical console port and log the output to a file while the system loads. Any commands that aren't parsed or have been deprecated will be logged as exceptions during the boot process. You can do this using the old switch configuration file loaded onto the new switch in advance of the actual cutover and resolve any issues ahead of time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no website or tool that I'm aware of to do such a pre-upgrade check for IOS to IOS-XE. That said, I've done several without issue. Just about all old commands carry forward.

One thing indirectly command-related is to make sure you have the same license level on the new switch (i.e. lanbase, ipbase or ipservices). If your new switch has a lower license level and you were using features that require the higher license level on the old switch, those commands won't be parsed on the new one because the features aren't available without the necessary license.

To verify, you should connect to the physical console port and log the output to a file while the system loads. Any commands that aren't parsed or have been deprecated will be logged as exceptions during the boot process. You can do this using the old switch configuration file loaded onto the new switch in advance of the actual cutover and resolve any issues ahead of time.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card