Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4500-Logging Configuration

sameermunj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team

I am facing a problem with logging facility in catalyst 4500 switches..even though the logging is enabled i am not getting any logs on console/telnet/syslog....The option selected is informational or debug which is highest sevirity still whenever the ports are going down/coming up or done shut/no shut for interafce is not reflected on the console/monitor/syslog

various config tried are

logging on

logging console informational

logging monitor informational

logging trap debuggging

logging facility syslog

logging 192.168.1.1

Tried individually with console/monitor/syslog (not all command tried at same time)

Current systsem software version is cat4500e-ipbase-mz.122-53.SG2.bin & Sup is  6L-E

kindly suggest the exact problem in the same..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DO you want to see logs when interface(s) goes up/down?  Then add the command "logging event link-status" in every interface you want.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Please configiure the loggin like below.

set logging server 10.10.10.100 -->add to System logging server
set logging server facility local5 -->System logging server facility set to
set logging server severity 5 -->System logging server severity set to <5>
You can set the all up to seven severities
set logging server enable -->System logging messages will be sent to the configured syslog servers

The above config should work for your, if not then try the below one also.

archive
log config
  logging enable
  logging size 500
  notify syslog
  hidekeys

logging 10.10.10.10

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi

Thanks for the reply..

i will test the same config mentioned by you..

for the surprise interafce up/down logs are not being captured in console as well as in telnet (term mon enabled) evne after setting the severity to any value between 0-7...can anyone please let me know the reason for the same..once the same is working i can focus on syslog captures and config

Hi,

It is severity 7, you need to set this as they are informational.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

Thanks for the reply..

we tried with all severity levels but the same s not coming under any severity...the logs just says config changes has been done by vty-x user...the interface going down/coming up or interface shut/no shut is not reflected in the log..

any other suggestion please let me know..

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DO you want to see logs when interface(s) goes up/down?  Then add the command "logging event link-status" in every interface you want.

Hi

I think this should work...

i will test the same and revert to you on the same..

Hi leolaohoo

I tried the same with config suggested by you and its working...i am getting the traps now on console as well as on syslog..

thanks

Glad to be of some form of assistance.  Thank you very much for your ratings. 

Thank you!!  This worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card