Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4506-E Error .Please Help !!!!

Hi , 

I just acquired a Brand new Catalyst 4506-E L3 switch , to be implemented in a datacenter

I took out of the box, then plugged in the console and managed to access the line console on

the switch after a few minutes , it suddenly stopped and the switch stop working , hence it gives

me the following error :

UNHANDLED ROMMON EXCEPTION at PC=00321804
Vector=00000100 MSR=02020230 LR=0031e27c
MCSR=00000000
CISR0=00000000 CISR1=20000000
DDR_ERR_DETECT=80000004

I reboot the machine physically , tried also to do a reset but the error remains and the it does NOT take me 
elsewhere .

Can you please help me on why I have this error ? and what to do to bypass it . I need to start configuring it as soon as
possible and iam stuck with this error message !!!! please help

(A+,MCP,CCNA)
4 Replies 4

Hi,

what is the version for your ROMmon? Do "set" in rommon to check it.

You might be hitting this bug CSCsw91043

Hi Norberto ,

I do not know what the my ROMmon version !

How do I access ROMmon ?  the error message just got stuck into the prompt it does NOT allow me to type anything , what do i do man please help ?

(A+,MCP,CCNA)

Hi,

please try to hit ctrl+break a couple of times after restarting the device, you should get a prompt indicating that you're in Rommon mode.

Looks like a known bug there a few different versions looking around

As Norberto said you need to get into rommon , follow this guide it will help you get to rommon and further

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/24061-149.html#image

similar bug

CSCtr65301

Symptom:
A memory allocation bug can cause a ROMMON crash when a certain combination of commands are invoked. The ROMMON crash manifests itself as an unhandled ROMMON exception and will appear on the console as follows:

UNHANDLED ROMMON EXCEPTION at PC=00306a20
Vector=00000e00 MSR=02029230 LR=003069fc
MCSR=00000000
CISR0=00000000 CISR1=00000000
DDR_ERR_DETECT=00000000

Conditions:
This bug is present in Rommon versions 12.2(31r)SGA5 and 12.2(31r)SGA6.

An UNHANDLED ROMMON EXCEPTION occurs while issuing a certain sequence of the ROMMON commands "dir slot0:", "dir bootflash:", and "dev". The crash is seen only while when 2 of these 3 commands are invoked. For example, invoking "dir bootflash:" (which works as expected), followed later by a "dir slot0:". The crash is not seen if the same command is invoked any number of times. It's only when 2 of these 3 commands are invoked during at the ROMMON command prompt that causes the crash. When this error occurs, the system resets and returns to the ROMMON prompt.

Workaround:
If this issue is ever encountered, the information generated by the 3 commands "dev", "dir slot0:", and "dir bootflash:" can still be obtained. The only stipulation is that you can only run one of these 3 commands in a single ROMMON command session. In other words, after the supervisor resets, you can then successfully invoke the command which causes the crash.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card