cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 Sup720-10G VSS VLAN Translation & Port-Channels?

As part of a migration plan I need to translate a VLAN on a multi-chassis port-channel on a pair of C6500 Sup720-10G VSS switches.

I have two layer-2 port-channels configured for LACP on some WS-X6708-10G linecards:

PC10 = Te1/6/1 & Te2/6/1

PC20 = Te1/6/2 & Te2/6/2

There are a few VLANs allowed on these trunks and STP is blocking on one of them.  Due to a clash I need to translate VLAN 10 on the C6500 side to VLAN 110.  I have verified it's possible in the IOS we are running and the WS-X6708-10G linecards,  and I can see the commands are available, however I can't specifically find references to doing this with port-channels or VSS.

Can anyone confirm this is possible?

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/6/1
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30,110
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 switchport vlan mapping enable
 switchport vlan mapping 10 110
 channel-group 10 mode active
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/6/1
 switchport
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 10 mode active
!
interface port-channel10
 switchport
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
!

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the version of code both the sides :

check some reference : (more focus on -Table 23-2 Module Support for VLAN Translation)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vlans.html#wp1044990

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, that's the link I am looking at.  Its a VSS pair so the IOS is identical on each - IOS is 12.2(33)SXI3 which is supported.  The switch it will connect to is a C9500 series, however there are no changes required on the C9500 side.

The commands are available so its obviously supported in the code and according to the link the WS-X6708-10G module will work without any restrictions other than a maximum of 16 translation as its an ASIC per port.

I just want to verify I can do this on port-channels split over two VSS chassis on WS-X6708-10G linecards.  The examples on that page you linked to only reference physical interfaces and not port-channels and also it doesn't mention VSS.

WS-X6708-10G 

This may not running 12.X  code IOS right, that should 15.X  code since its latest one.

I just want to verify I can do this on port-channels split over two VSS chassis on WS-X6708-10G linecards.  The examples on that page you linked to only reference physical interfaces and not port-channels and also it doesn't mention VSS.

Honestly have not fully tested, this should work as expected technically, since this is just translation of VLAN.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Unfortunately upgrading the code isn't an option.

The WS-X6708-10G linecards are supported in 12.2(33)SXI3 as they are currently in use.  I am purely asking about the VLAN translation feature when related to VSS & port-channels.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card