cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 Last Renewal Attempt: FAILED Failure reason: Fail to send out Call Home HTTP message

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello for everybody.

A new switch 9500 was installed on the site. Generated an id token and registered the device in a smart account.

However, when viewing the license status, you can see the following

9500-1-core#sh license status
Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Utility:

Data Privacy:
Sending Hostname: yes
Callhome hostname privacy: DISABLED
Smart Licensing hostname privacy: DISABLED
Version privacy: DISABLED

Transport:
Type: Callhome

Smart Account: company
Virtual Account: company
Export-Controlled Functionality: ALLOWED
Initial Registration: SUCCEEDED on May 21 18:05:22 2020 MSK
Last Renewal Attempt: FAILED on Jun 08 16:58:37 2020 MSK
Failure reason: Fail to send out Call Home HTTP message.
Next Renewal Attempt: Nov 17 18:05:22 2020 MSK
Registration Expires: May 21 17:56:57 2021 MSK

License Authorization:
Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED on Jun 08 18:59:47 2020 MSK
Next Communication Attempt: Jul 08 18:59:46 2020 MSK
Communication Deadline: Sep 06 18:54:44 2020 MSK

Export Authorization Key:
Features Authorized:
<none>

If I understand correctly, this "Last Renewal Attempt" applies exclusively to the call home service and does not affect device registration in any way. 

At the same time, the resource tools.cisco.com available by name.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

personally i ignore the message, this may be due to internet connecting issues to the License Server.

check sometime later, this should get success since your device already registered, I will not worry much about this message. (but I keep eye on it)

do you have proxy environment? Does these URLs go via proxy ? is there any change in proxy settings recently? 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

"do you have proxy environment? Does these URLs go via proxy ? is there any change in proxy settings recently? " - do you mean proxy like TMG, Squid etc or proxy server especially for smart licensing (you can download and install virtual machine for this purpose)?

Both of these conditions are incorrect for vlan management for this site - all devices go to the Internet directly, via nat on  asa.

I have encountered some of the proxy-based setups, so I am more curious to know.

if this is going directly internet - there may be intermittent when the device initiated the connection on that instance.

BB

"I have encountered some of the proxy-based setups, so I am more curious to know"

http://www.jay-miah.co.uk/using-cisco-smart-licensing-and-deploying-a-satellite-device-on-prem/ - this way or not?

"if this is going directly internet - there may be intermittent when the device initiated the connection on that instance" - maybe, but there isnt problem with registration - i can see this device registered in smart account... The problem is only with service call home and http.

yes, i can understand you having issues with call home failed - is this all time, or you have seen recently?

here is troubleshoot for call home and how it connect to cisco.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/smart_call_home/book/SCH31_Ch5.html

BB

This problem is with a recently installed switch. But this problem is only on two or three of sites, the rest are fine.

I mean, that call-home its not a critical service.

yes, agree, if you like you can follow the troubleshoot guide and post what you find for us to help.

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card