Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 license for L3 and DNA license

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I would like to know which license do i need to buy to use L3 function on catalyst 9500 ?

Essential is enough or do i need advance license ?

if i don't have the DNA center,do i need to buy the DNA license ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric R.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@MrBeginner  You only need the Network Advantage license to do advanced L3. That is a base license (which is required) while the DNA's are add-ons (optional).

Cisco Feature Navigator (Compare Licenses) -- Use the feature navigator and setup devices with different licenses to see what features function with each. I went ahead and attached a comparison of all 4 licenses on the 9500 platforms so you can have that handy.

License Levels
The software features available on Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches and Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches - High Performance fall under these base or add-on license levels.

Base Licenses
Network Essentials

Network Advantage—Includes features available with the Network Essentials license and more.

Add-On Licenses
Add-On Licenses require a Network Essentials or Network Advantage as a pre-requisite. The features available with add-on license levels provide Cisco innovations on the switch, as well as on the Cisco Digital Network Architecture Center (Cisco DNA Center).

DNA Essentials

DNA Advantage— Includes features available with the DNA Essentials license and more.

References: 

More reference material:

Q: What is difference between Network Advantage and DNA Advantage?
A: The Network advantage license is the perpetual License that will allow the switch to use advance L2 and L3 features such as VXLAN,LISP,SGT,MPLS, MACSEC, etc. While the DNA advantage add-on is the license needed in case that the switch is required to be part of SDA solution.

- Reference: Community Live FAQ- Introduction to Smart Licensing on Catalyst Switches 

All I did was turn it off and back on. Now here I am.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@MrBeginner : You need DNA Advantage License for the L3 . Have a look below in details with all the features covered in all the licenses

https://www.routexp.com/2018/09/cisco-dna-advantage-license-vs.html

Eric R.
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@MrBeginner  You only need the Network Advantage license to do advanced L3. That is a base license (which is required) while the DNA's are add-ons (optional).

Cisco Feature Navigator (Compare Licenses) -- Use the feature navigator and setup devices with different licenses to see what features function with each. I went ahead and attached a comparison of all 4 licenses on the 9500 platforms so you can have that handy.

License Levels
The software features available on Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches and Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches - High Performance fall under these base or add-on license levels.

Base Licenses
Network Essentials

Network Advantage—Includes features available with the Network Essentials license and more.

Add-On Licenses
Add-On Licenses require a Network Essentials or Network Advantage as a pre-requisite. The features available with add-on license levels provide Cisco innovations on the switch, as well as on the Cisco Digital Network Architecture Center (Cisco DNA Center).

DNA Essentials

DNA Advantage— Includes features available with the DNA Essentials license and more.

References: 

More reference material:

Q: What is difference between Network Advantage and DNA Advantage?
A: The Network advantage license is the perpetual License that will allow the switch to use advance L2 and L3 features such as VXLAN,LISP,SGT,MPLS, MACSEC, etc. While the DNA advantage add-on is the license needed in case that the switch is required to be part of SDA solution.

- Reference: Community Live FAQ- Introduction to Smart Licensing on Catalyst Switches 

All I did was turn it off and back on. Now here I am.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@MrBeginner wrote:

if i don't have the DNA center,do i need to buy the DNA license ?

Whether or not there is a plan to use DNAC applance, no one has a choice.  DNAC license is mandatory.   

NOTE:  When the DNAC license expires, nothing will happen. 

For Layer 3, make sure to have Network Advantage enabled or purchased.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card