cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 upgrade

Semale Mapu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does anyone know if you can jump from Gibraltar 16.11.1 to Bengaluru 17.4.1? 

The specific node's model number is C9500-48Y4C

Any insight would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Semale Mapu wrote:

Are you referring to the open caveats or reports that it bricked some users gear? Maybe if you find time today you could crack an egg of knowledge on me

17.1.X, 17.2.X, 17.4.X, 17.5.X, 17.7.X are all single-release train.  If there are bugs found in them, guaranteed, there will be no fixed release after 17.x.1.  For example, if someone with 17.4.1 hits a bug, the developers will not code up a fix in 17.4.2 because there will not be a 17.4.2 (and later) release. 

Upgrade to 17.3.X or 17.6.X -- Look at the "middle" number.  The interval is "3".  Aim for that.  17.3.X and 17.6.X are multi-release trains.

And most importantly, RTFM.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Semale Mapu wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if you can jump from Gibraltar 16.11.1 to Bengaluru 17.4.1? 

Are you really, really sure you want to upgrade to 17.4.1???  

Direct upgrade from 16.11.1 is possible.  

IMPORANT:  Read the Release Notes very carefully.  

Please see attachment for the instruction about the upgrade (Install Mode).

Thank you Community Legend Leo,

Are you referring to the open caveats or reports that it bricked some users gear? Maybe if you find time today you could crack an egg of knowledge on me

Hi,

Are you referring to the open caveats or reports that it bricked some users gear?

Yes, just read the release notes for the version you want to upgrade to. This way, you are familiar with outstanding caveats/issues and caveats that have not been resolved yet.

HTH

@Semale Mapu wrote:

17.1.X, 17.2.X, 17.4.X, 17.5.X, 17.7.X are all single-release train.  If there are bugs found in them, guaranteed, there will be no fixed release after 17.x.1.  For example, if someone with 17.4.1 hits a bug, the developers will not code up a fix in 17.4.2 because there will not be a 17.4.2 (and later) release. 

Upgrade to 17.3.X or 17.6.X -- Look at the "middle" number.  The interval is "3".  Aim for that.  17.3.X and 17.6.X are multi-release trains.

And most importantly, RTFM.  

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you know. I try reading manuals all the time, there sure are a whole lot of them.

Hope you have a good one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card