Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst series Switching Configuration

gepas
Level 1
Level 1
Greetings to all!
With not much prior experience, I landed upon looking into quite a few, legacy, spatially dispersed  CISCO Catalyst 1900  Series Switches mostly with 12 ports + AX-BX ports.  These were installed some 20+ years ago at my organization and with little docunentation to go about.

They all share a Standard Edition Firmware V8.01.00 (as opposed to an Enterprise Edition) and thus no CLI to work with but only a Menu based Interface which can be accessed e.g. through Console port or via Telnet. Under this software condition, I am trying to obtain the Switches running/startup configurations in a text file format, but have no good lead on how to go about that without a CLI interface.

Is there any other way around this without CLI? 

Thought for eg, that there may be a 'tftp' way, via an already installed tftp app at my local CMS type snmpc host, so that I can get access to the remote host ( ie one Catalyst 1900 switch). If this is feasible, for starters do not know, after tftp app connection, what the correct full directory path/files names/syntax will get me the running/startup configuration files to my local snpc tftp client host.

Thank you very much on your help!

P.S. What would be your low cost CISCO switch replacent recommendation for the above legacy Catalyst 1900 switches
so as to have CISCO support for the next decade or so?
3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've used 1900 switches, when they were still relatively new, perhaps it was 30 or more years ago.  I do recall having CLI access, so perhaps I had a "better/newer" IOS version.  However, some non-CLI interfaces may require a config change to enable.  (No guarantee that applies in your case.)

As for low cost options, you might look into Cisco's SMB switches, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/switches.html?ccid=cc001531#~products.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What would be your low cost CISCO switch replacent recommendation for the above legacy Catalyst 1900 switches 

some of the SMB switches also getting end of life too - so make sure you choose the right product.

depends on what feature you using , you can look catalyst 1K switches or meraki switches for low cost.

There are SG and SBS model as mentioned above they are getting end of life too.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . switches so as to have CISCO support for the next decade or so?"

Forgot to mention, a decade or so (longer?), I believe, is a tad longer than the usual support life cycle for small switches.

Any Cisco device you're considering, look for end-of-life announcements, and if none, try to find when device was initially released.  Between those two, you're probably supported for 3 to 6 years, or so.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card