cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-24P-4X Stacking with GLC-TE SFP+ modules - no luck

CharlesFUdK
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a new Cisco CBS350 user, and I cannot get my two CBS350-24P-4X switches to stack.

I have followed the Cisco Stacking Guidelines and have configured Stack IDs 1 and 2, respectively.

The two switches are connected via Cisco GLC-TE SFP+ modules.
I have one of these modules in each switch, which should be enough for a simple chain stack (?)
These modules are compatible per the CBS350 datasheet and do work as normal ports when not plugged into SFP+ ports configured for stacking. When connecting my laptop to a module like this, the corresponding LED below the SFP+ port lights up and I can access the switches' web UI.

I have (currently, in my test setup) a 50cm CAT6a cable plugged in between the SFP+ modules.
On each switch, SFP+ ports 1 and 2 are selected as stacking ports.
But I cannot get a connection between the switches. The LEDs below the SFP+ ports do not light up.

Do I absolutely need two cables for the stack to work? Am I missing something else?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have in the meantime managed (ha) to get the stack working with fibre modules.

The admin guide is worded sub-optimally, because the ports as such do support 10Gig...

Thanks to all though!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a look at this document to make sure you have done everything correctly:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/Cisco-Business-Switching/kmgmt2836-Stacking-Guidelines-for-CBS.html

What if there are connection problems?

Configuring a stack on Cisco Business switches is straightforward, but care must be taken to validate all end-to-end connections for successful deployment. If you encounter problems, check the following scenarios for resolution.

Unit fails to join the stack (These are the most common)

• All ports in default mode are uplink network ports.
  • Verify all ports used to interconnect the stack to the failed unit are configured for the stack.
  • Verify all ports used to interconnect the stack on the failed unit are configured for the stack.
  • Swap out the stack cable to check for a fault in the cable.

Verify the stack-connecting ports and interconnecting cables have the same speed/negotiation capabilities.

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@CharlesFUdK 

From the CBS350 administration guide:

"At least two ports must be chosen for stacking in a given switch and those ports must be 10Gig speed."

I don't know the GLC-TE, but Internet says it's only 1Gig. Also, the admin guide says you need to use at least two ports in a single switch. Note that you should be able to use any 10Gig port on a switch. It does not have to be fiber. I actually use RJ45 ports for stacking, because I need SFP+ ports for connections to other switches.

Kris K

I have in the meantime managed (ha) to get the stack working with fibre modules.

The admin guide is worded sub-optimally, because the ports as such do support 10Gig...

Thanks to all though!

samuel34
Level 1
Level 1

Ensure that the Cisco GLC-TE SFP+ modules you're using are indeed fully compatible with the CBS350 for stacking purposes. While they may work as normal ports, stacking sometimes requires more specific modules.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card