cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500, Users received duplicate IP address messages

mm7482
Level 1
Level 1

Last night I moved a small network over to three Express500 switches. I have two servers, and one user that intermittently shows Event Viewer messages of "duplicate IP address found" and gives the MAC address of itself with the exception of the first two bytes. Examples

User with 192.168.1.156 with a MAC of 0011.439f.79c8

displays an EV duplicate IP address from MAC 9c11.439f.79c8.

The two servers intermittently do the same: Example: Real MAC address 000d.6015.1c04, Its Event viewer message shows duplicate IP address from MAC:

FE0d.6015.1c04.

I have her port set pu for "desktop + IP Phone", although I haven't place her phone there yet.

The other two servers are set up as "servers-standard". With the servers, I pulled their cat5 cables out, cleared IP ARP and tried to PING the address from my router, but could not. I'm 99.9999% positive these are not duplicate IP addresses. Ports on the desk top, server and switches are all set up for auto/auto. As this is my first time working with the Express 500, I'm wondering whether the MAC address of beginning of the ethernet frames is being corrupted??!! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

The MAC addresses shown in the Event Viewer doesnot seems to be real. Are you using any application that could generate such temporary MAC addresses? These smartport roles should not cause any trouble.

subgenius
Level 1
Level 1

Are you sure you have 12.2(25)SEG on the CE-500s? I'd start there. You can also check the ARP table in the 500 via the 'exec' web interface, http://switchipaddress/level/15/exec (and follow the prompts)

which should help a bit...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card