cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing ip default-gateway and MGMT IP

DHGmem
Level 1
Level 1

I want to change the ip default-gateway and MGMT IP/VLAN on a switchstack, and i have a possibly dumb question that I can't find the answer to.

If i change the ip default-gateway on a layer 2 switch that the switch is using for management, will any of the other VLANs be affected? Will devices on other VLANs connected to this switch loose any pings?

The situation is something like this... The switch is using VLAN1 for management with an IP of 10.10.1.40 and gateway 10.10.1.254, but I will move this to 10.10.40.40 and gateway 10.10.40.254.

interface vlan1
shutdown

interface vlan40
ip address 10.10.40.40 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 10.10.40.254

Does the default gateway in the config only apply to the management VLAN, and all other VLAN's use their own default gateway?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If i change the ip default-gateway on a layer 2 switch that the switch is using for management, will any of the other VLANs be affected? Will devices on other VLANs connected to this switch loose any pings?

No since its only used for Layer switch (so other VLAN not going to effected)

But suggest to change using console.

he situation is something like this... The switch is using VLAN1 for management with an IP of 10.10.1.40 and gateway 10.10.1.254, but I will move this to 10.10.40.40 and gateway 10.10.40.254.

Sure this can be cahnged, it required both the side switch vlan 1 IP also gateway side.

Does the default gateway in the config only apply to the management VLAN, and all other VLAN's use their own default gateway?

we use ip default-gateway for Layer switch. so managmeent network is ok

hope this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does the default gateway in the config only apply to the management VLAN, and all other VLANs use their own default gateway?

That is correct. In this case, if you change the default gateway's IP, it will only affect the management access to the switch and not the data VLANs. It is important to know that if you are accessing the device remotely via SSH or telnet, once you change the IP, you will lose your connection to the switch. So, if you are planning on doing this, make sure to log on via console first.

HTH

Hello

@DHGmem wrote:

Correct

@DHGmem wrote:

Will devices on other VLANs connected to this switch loose any pings?

No, the D/G on a distrubution/access switch is only for remote mgt of that distrubution/access switch nothing more

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card