cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the air flow in Nexus 5596UP without interuption.

Remko.vangilst
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Nexus 5596UP and we want to change the air flow to the opposite direction.
I think it is possible to change it without an interruption but have no lab to test it.

I think when I remove all the fans and change 1 power supply the systems keeps running.
(don’t know if the Nexus can work with 2 different power supply’s, this is the catch !!!)

After the new power supply is inserted I will remove the other one (the old one) and push in the new fans.

Hopefully all within 30 seconds to prevent a shut down or mismatch errors.

Is this possible?

Please advise

Kind regards,
Remko van Gilst

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Remko,

The airflow through the other Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches is from front to back, but you can change the airflow back-to-front

Note: The Cisco Nexus 5596 has front to back airflow so you must position it with the front facing a cold isle.

Cisco Nexus 5000 Platform switch with one power supply, removing the power supply causes the switch to shut down. If you are using two power supplies and you remove one of them, the switch can continue to operate.

The fan module is designed to be removed and replaced while the system is operating without presenting an electrical hazard or damage to the system, if the replacement is performed promptly.

I hope you will need some down time since you need flipped around physically to align the airflow anyway.

Please try the below steps,

Power Supplies replacement:

• Pull one power supply (System operates normally).
  • Insert one new power supply (60 second timer will begin).
  • Pull the second power supply (60 second timer stops)
  • Insert the second new power supply

Fan replacement:

• Pull one fan (System operates normally with 3 fans – N+1)
  • Insert one new fan
  • Remove second fan.
  • Insert second new fan.
  • Remove third fan.
  • Insert third new fan.
  • Remove fourth fan.
  • Insert final new fan.

Regards,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/install5500.html#wp1258897

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Remko,

The airflow through the other Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches is from front to back, but you can change the airflow back-to-front

Note: The Cisco Nexus 5596 has front to back airflow so you must position it with the front facing a cold isle.

Cisco Nexus 5000 Platform switch with one power supply, removing the power supply causes the switch to shut down. If you are using two power supplies and you remove one of them, the switch can continue to operate.

The fan module is designed to be removed and replaced while the system is operating without presenting an electrical hazard or damage to the system, if the replacement is performed promptly.

I hope you will need some down time since you need flipped around physically to align the airflow anyway.

Please try the below steps,

Power Supplies replacement:

• Pull one power supply (System operates normally).
  • Insert one new power supply (60 second timer will begin).
  • Pull the second power supply (60 second timer stops)
  • Insert the second new power supply

Fan replacement:

• Pull one fan (System operates normally with 3 fans – N+1)
  • Insert one new fan
  • Remove second fan.
  • Insert second new fan.
  • Remove third fan.
  • Insert third new fan.
  • Remove fourth fan.
  • Insert final new fan.

Regards,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/install5500.html#wp1258897

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

ohynderi
Level 1
Level 1

This is actually not supported to hot swap normal airflow fans an PSs with reverse airflow fans and PSs.

See CSCtx18288

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtx18288

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card