cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the VPC peer-link

darrell.lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Say I have a VPC peer-link that is running at 40Gb. There is a plan to switch this out to 100Gb. Currently the switches in the VPC domain are running with the primary operating as the secondary. The best practices document on VPC states with the loss of the peer-link all interfaces on the secondary will go down.

So in this current configuration if the peer-link is removed the interfaces on the primary operating as secondary can be expected to go down? The plan is to manually shut down the interfaces on the secondary switch to avoid any issues and replace the VPC peer-link. Appreciate any assistance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the device are dual homed, then i will shutdown the seconday VPC (or shutdown all the ports ), Configure the Primary VPC removing old 40GB to 100GB, same config on Seconday vPC offline , save the config shutdown Secondary vPC, connect the cables, and bring up and Monitor, once vPC formed working as expected, on Seondary bring other interface and test.

Note : suggest to do in maintenance window.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the device are dual homed, then i will shutdown the seconday VPC (or shutdown all the ports ), Configure the Primary VPC removing old 40GB to 100GB, same config on Seconday vPC offline , save the config shutdown Secondary vPC, connect the cables, and bring up and Monitor, once vPC formed working as expected, on Seondary bring other interface and test.

Note : suggest to do in maintenance window.

BB

darrell.lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Just tested this in a lab and whatever switch is operating as the secondary will have all it's links shut down if the peer-link is disconnected/shutdown. The safest way to complete a change on the VPC peer-link would be to manually disable all links on the Secondary switch (Operational secondary). Then you can disconnect the peer-link and replace the cables. I appreciate the input Balaji.  

Glad the suggestion helped, I did many based on the requirement, as the requirement grows big, you need to increase vpc links.

this is the best approach i see and safe (this only work of the end device dual home, if not you need down time for orphan ports)

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: