cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking utilization and / or performance on a switch

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

I have an odd question. What all does one check to verify the performance of a switch or watch to see if it is time to upgrade?

Lets say I have a WS-C3560G-24PS service as a distribution switch with six (6) WS-C2950T-24 connected to it. In looking at the utilization on the inter connect links no one is running close to a gig speed and this includes the link between this switch and the core. The CPU load (6%) and memory utilization (30%) on the switch  do not seem bad so what else does one watch to see if it needs an upgrade? 

We are starting tohave discussions about any needed upgrades on the network. I have an ocassional user that complaines about low performance but looking through the network I can find nothing glaring on a consistent basis that says an upgrade is warranted. I am however looking at things such as the above. Utilization on links, CPU, memory, etc. Is there something else that I should be looking at to help with the analysis?

brent

2 Replies 2

danielmcollins
Level 1
Level 1

brent,

How does the peak utilization look for each link? ... you could be fine on average but have trouble during peak usage.

Dan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Lets say I have a WS-C3560G-24PS service as a distribution switch with six (6) WS-C2950T-24 connected to it.

Ok, the 2950T is already end-of-sale since 2006.  That's not a strong case to upgrade your switches.  I know a government agency that is still using 3500XL and GigaStacking GBIC as a server switch.

I have an ocassional user that complaines about low performance but looking through the network I can find nothing glaring on a consistent basis that says an upgrade is warranted.

A badly integrated software will always cause slow response.  Wireshark is your best tool to determine whether or not you've got an application problem.

Speed and duplex mismatch is the biggest culprit.  Make sure all your access ports have no line errors.

The only time I want to start upgrading my switch is when I will see the need or the drive from the clients that they need GigabitEthernet to the desktop.  I mean will they be using plain-and-simple emails, web browsing?  These two common application doesn't warrant GigabitEthernet.  But, hey, let's not kid ourselves.  Whether you like it or not, GigabitEthernet switches are here.  FastEthernet switches are a dying breed.  Cisco has already announced the end-of-sale of the plain 3560 and 3750.  The only FastEthernet switch to remain in the market (for now) is the 2960 and I'm expecting to receive the end-of-sale announcement of this model in the next 3 months.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card