cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1000 Series Switch and VRF

Ed Melendez
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought a 1000 series switch, assuming it would come with some version of VRF. The latest software for the device does not seem to support the creation of VRF's, but I've noticed that a few commands do offer the selection of a VRF.  Anyone know what gives?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally not used Cat 1000 Switch, as per i know this is basic Layer 2 features with more layer 3 switch, i do not believe this suppot VRF as you looking as per the below guide 15.X is the latest code you can run. but do not see any command reference of VRF other than some name server stuff

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/command_reference/b_1527e_1000_cr.html

here is the feature navigator for reference :

https://cfnng.cisco.com/browse/switching/products

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The commands under "System Management Commands," is partly the reason why I'm posting.  Why include a VRF option, if the device doesn't support it?

The device does layer 3.  I have an interface configured and setup as the gateway address for one of my subnets.

It would be great if VRF was supported.

@Ed Melendez wrote:

The commands under "System Management Commands," is partly the reason why I'm posting.  Why include a VRF option, if the device doesn't support it?

This is a "feature".  The command will be accepted but it will not work.   

A cheap layer 2 switch will never support VRF/VRF-lite.  The "logic" is this:  If you want to do VRF/VRF-lite then you can afford to get a more expensive switch.

I hear what you're saying, but spending over $1200 USD on a switch is not "cheap." If I was buying a $300 350 series, or a 250 series... sure, those are cheap.

This just shows that Cisco does not understand smaller businesses at all.

Thanks for your replies.

Sure maybe cisco world that takes as cheap, yes it supports the Layer 3 feature as required only, it can not give full-blown Layer 3 feature, you can configure Layer 3 interface and static routes with limited only - that what mean to say only Layer2 Major features.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 1000 is purely a Layer 2 switch. 

VRF/VRF-lite is not supported.  

The device does layer 3.  I have an interface configured and setup as the gateway address for one of my subnets.

Some part of Catalyst 1000 documentation actually states something about VRF:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/configuration_guides/sec/b_1527e_security_c1000_cg/configuring_tacacs.html

Configuring Per VRF on a TACACS Server

The initial steps in this procedure are used to configure AAA and a server group, create a VRF routing table, and configure an interface. Steps 10 through 13 are used to configure the per VRF on a TACACS+ server feature:

Step 3

ip vrf vrf-name

Example:

Device(config)# ip vrf cisco

Configures a VRF table and enters VRF configuration mode.

Step 4

rd route-distinguisher

Example:

Device(config-vrf)# rd 100:1

Creates routing and forwarding tables for a VRF instance.

Step 5

exit

Example:

Device(config-vrf)# exit

Exits VRF configuration mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: