cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 1721 :// No Echo/Response from CONSOLE Port

J DAVID FIG
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CISCO 1721 I found in my 'stuff' when I was moving and I want to use it as a home router.  Connecting to the CONSOLE port I get nothing echo'ed back.  I confirmed connection hardware (USB=>Serial/Roll-Over cable, etc) by consoling into my CISCO 1841 lab router.  

Other things I've tried are:  
1) Wireshark'ed CONSOLE port - nothing;
2.) Wireshark'ed the AUX port - nothing;
3.) Wireshark'ed the ETH port - looks like 'normal' data.

I wanted to see if I could access the CONFIG from the AUX port by directly connecting my Laptop w/ a Roll-Over cable but not sure how to do that w/out a modem.  Any suggestions from anyone??

Best regards....

J. David FIG

ask4itall@gmail.com

4 Replies 4

Renan Abreu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried changing the baud rate to a value other than 9600? Maybe someone changed it in the past.

Thanx for the reply @renan.   Yes...I've tried 115200, 9600, 1200, 300.  :-(

Any suggestions on getting to the CONFIG through the AUX port?

Thanx!!

J. David FIG

The aux port is not restricted to use for modem. Depending on how the router is configured you might be able to start an exec session, get into privilege mode, and access the configuration of the router. I have been successful on similar routers connecting the console cable to the aux port and accessing the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you @richard.  Question re: potentially accessing the router config via the AUX port...how might I go about that?

BTW...the intent on the 1721 is to use as my home router.  I have a 2610 & 1841 in my lab rack along w/ a few switches.

Regards....

David

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card