Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1721 with ADSL

andrewnewell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to get a Cisco 1721 (with an ADSL WIC) connected to the internet (then to our concentrator via Lan 2 Lan VPN). I had it all connected on a test bed using a static IP Address and using PAP/CHAP. The ISP where I need to install this is now saying that there is not a username and password for this connection (it is always on). I have tried stripping out the the username and password from the configuration but to no avail.

How do I get the 1721 to connect without using a username and password?

thanks

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Another possibvle cause for the DSL conection not working is the VP/VC setting under atm configuration. It may be that your provider uses a bridged configuration:

interface ATM0

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

dsl equipment-type CPE

dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex B

dsl linerate AUTO

bridge-group 1

!

interface ATM0.1 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240

ip nat outside

pvc 8/40

encapsulation aal5snap

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

bridge 1 protocol ieee

That is the only example I have of a non-authenticated config, used in Belgium in this case.

For the rest, the only advice that I can give is to try and get more info from your provider about how it should be set up. There are many ways to configure this, you should not need to guess about your settings.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

thanks for the repsonse, I did try many times to get as much info as possible - I do have the VP/VC settings but they couldn't help with much more info. the router is for Swedan, and looking at the config you have posted now reminds me that the Zyxel modem (that works) is in 'bridge mode'.

I will try this very soon.

many thanks

Andrew

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card