cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 220 VLAN Setup help required

IanRees306151
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a separate VLAN to isolate a YouView Box from the rest of the network and I am not having much luck.

I have two ports the connect my ADSL router to the Cisco 220 Switch - they are GE10 and GE13.  My Youview box connects to GE9.  So I want a home network that connects to the internet via GE10 and a separate isolated network (VLAN 10) that just allows the YouView box to connect via GE9 to the internet via GE13.  As soon as I create my VLAN the YouView box is no longer capable of connecting to the broadband router.  

The adsl router does not support VLAN but i dont think that matters.  Any help gratefully appreciated

vlan 1.pngvlan 10.pngport vlan membership.png

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DUPLICATE

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

not sure I understand your setup: the SG220 does not do inter Vlan routing, you would need to do that on the ADSL router or any other layer 3 device...

Thanks for your reply.  I am a beginner at this and I am not sure what 'inter VLAN routing is'.

My naive understanding was that by setting my SG220 up the way I had was that I was effectively creating two separate networks.

This was originally to deal with a problem of the IPTV device flooding the rest of the network.  However, I must admit I am totally unclear what happens to the traffic when it gets to my router which knows nothing about VLANS.  I assumed that traffic going into one ethernet port on my router would get any replies via the same port and hence end up at the GE port on my Cisco that I have assigned to a VLAN but I clearly don't get this.  What's more I just cant get in my head why when I move the IPTV device to VLAN 10 it cant even access the router but it can on the default VLAN,  Apologies but I thought I knew more about networking than I obviously do and I just dont understand VLANs. Thanks

As I'm reading more and more about this - is the problem that I have two of my GE ports going to different ports on my ADSL router - have I created some sort of bridge or loop ? Thasnks

Hello,

what brand/model is your ADSL router ?

Its a BT Home Hub 6.  I didn't think I needed the router itself to support VLAN but as of yesterday I have now ordered a NETGEAR SOHO Small Business Wireless Access Point which does support VLANs.

What started out as solving a problem of my IPTV device flooding other devices such as my SkyQ box has cost me a lot of time and expense trying to solve - in fact once I invested in routing some more ethernet cables to the router, this enabled me to bypass the Cisco switch serving the home network as a temporary solution to solve the flooding problem.  However, we are going to rent out room(s) so I also want to isolate that network with just the IPTV device on it and the Netgear to provide wireless access but all separate from the stuff I have on my home network.

I assumed having put GE9 and GE13 in a separate VLAN 10, that the IPTV device on GE13 would send and receive internet traffic via GE9 which goes into port 1 on my BT Home Hub router.  But port 3 on my router also comes back into my switch on GE1 which is just part of the default VLAN (VLAN 1) and I assumed everything else in VLAN 1 would send and receive internet traffic via GE1.  But I don't get it - if I put the IPTV device back on VLAN 1 and delete VLAN 10, it can contact the router but it floods the rest of the network. If I put the IPTV device back on VLAN 10, it cant reach the router ?  Are the physicla connections ok - i.e. 2 connections from the BT Home Hub router into the Cisco 220 ? or have I created some sort of loop ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card