Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 24 port switch for 1600 series Access Points

thomo2710
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will be installing 3x 1600 AP into my warehouse soon for complete wireless coverage down there.

I am planning for them all to run back to a Cisco PoE switch for their power sources.

Runs for the 3 AP running back to the switch vary from 15m to 80m for the furthest AP away.

Running normal cat 5 cable and will be well clear from any electrical cable etc.

Will any 24 port cisco PoE switch be suitable for these AP power wise - or are there particular switches i need to be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any info offered

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

According to the data sheet, the 1600 needs a maximum of 15.4W of power.  Most Cisco POE device support POE+ which is about 30w per ports.  So you should fine with installing a Cisco 3560X switch.

Here is the data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-x-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the budget.  

The cheapest enterprise-grade Catalyst switch that can support PoE+ (for future proofing) and GigabitEthernet access ports is the 2960S/2960X switch.  

Take note that Cisco has announced the end-of-sale for the 2960S.  The 2960X is the replacment model for the 2960S, however, 2960S has one of the most stable IOS code while the 2960X IOS code is a "work in progress".

NOTE:  The last date to order the 2960S is November 2015.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card