Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2610 - Trunking on the 10Mbps port

Ectra_Dench
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 2610 with a built in 10Mbps port.  The internet tells me I can run an IOS version above 12(2)T and can use dot1q encapsulation on the built in 10mbps interface.  I upgrade to c2600-i-mz.122-2.T4 and then try.  I go into the sub interface and type "encap dot1q 10" and it says invalid command.  The question mark shows nothing either. 

There are lots of posts online saying upgrading to this IOS works but alas, not for me.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?  Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ectra,

You need to run an IOS with a different feature set. You are currently running the IP feature set IOS and it does not support the 802.1Q VLANs. However, the 802.1Q VLAN support is in different feature sets, such as IP PLUS, ENTERPRISE BASIC, IP/IPX/AT, etc.

Can you use the following image:c2600-is-mz.122-2.T4.bin ? This would be an IOS with the IP PLUS feature set, and it should support the VLAN subinterfaces.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

chr6is000
Level 1
Level 1

try native after the 10

Nope.  Tried it and it says the error is on the "encapsulation" part.  Thanks anyway, though

It's possible that new IOS software uses automatically dot1q encapsulation so you don't have to specify it under the interface

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ectra,

You need to run an IOS with a different feature set. You are currently running the IP feature set IOS and it does not support the 802.1Q VLANs. However, the 802.1Q VLAN support is in different feature sets, such as IP PLUS, ENTERPRISE BASIC, IP/IPX/AT, etc.

Can you use the following image:c2600-is-mz.122-2.T4.bin ? This would be an IOS with the IP PLUS feature set, and it should support the VLAN subinterfaces.

Best regards,

Peter

This works, thank you very much. 

I picked the i version because I only had 8MB flash but after a TFTP boot I can use the encapsulation command..  To Ebay!

Hi Ectra,

It's good to know you've managed to get it working! By the way, how much DRAM/FLASH do you have currently?

Best regards,

Peter

At the moment I'm on 64MB DRAM and 8MB flash.  Going to try and find a 16+MB stick to increase the flash.

Hi Ectra,

You can also try running the c2600-bin-mz.123-6f.bin - it's IP/IPX/APPLETALK IOS image, and it should fit into your current FLASH and DRAM.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card