Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 2PC connect

ander00212
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to connect 2 PC to my switch 2960. I configure on PCs IP - 10.1.2.2 and 10.1.2.3, and they want ping. What i need to do?

PLS Help

13 Replies 13

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We have very little information to work with and so it is difficult to give good advice. Could you post the running config of the switch? If you do not want to post the entire config then at least post the configuration of the interfaces for which the devices are connected. Also please post the output of show interface status.

HTH

Rick

Here is the config. I just reset it by default setting this switch.

BTW. sorry for my english

The switch config simple Layer 2 ( all ports in default VLAN1), if you connect 2 devices to any ports they able to ping or connect each other. (with out any issue)

if you want to configure vlan 1

interface Vlan1
ip address 10.1.2.254 255.255.255.0
no shutdown

you can add PC gateway to 10.1.2.254

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I do that but still can not ping each others PC. Shoud I use command switchport access vlan 1 or something like that on each fast ethernet port?

Thank you for posting the switch configuration. At this point it is a very simple layer 2 switch config. And with this config I would expect that the PCs should be able to ping. If they can not ping then please post these outputs:

on the switch show interface status

on each PC the contents of its arp table (arp -a or similar command if not Windows)

There might be some reasons to want to configure an IP address on interface vlan 1. But whether vlan 1 has an IP address or not has nothing to do with whether PCs connected in the same vlan can ping each other.

Perhaps the issue is about firewalls on the PC not allowing ping. Please check both PC and disable any firewall that might be running.

HTH

Rick

On both PC i off firewall by program - Defender Control, it is okey?

In attachment are screens.

Thank you for the outputs. The output of show interface status on the switch confirms that there are 2 connected devices on the switch and that both are active in vlan 1. That is good and eliminates several things that might have been problems.

The output of the arp table on both PC are similar and show that there seem to be 4 devices connected in vlan 1. It appears that PC1 has IP 10.1.2.4 and has arp entries for 10.1.2.3 (which should be PC2), and for 10.1.2.254 which I assume is the switch. It appears that PC2 has arp entries for 10.1.2.4 (which is PC1), for 10.1.2.254 which I assume is the switch and an entry for 10.1.2.2 and it is not clear what that is.

The importance of the arp entries is that each PC has an arp entry for the other PC. This demonstrates that they have layer 2 connectivity. And If they have layer 2 connectivity and if they are configured in the same IP subnet then they should have layer 3 connectivity. If the PCs should have layer 3 connectivity but ping is not working then there must be something that is preventing ping. If the firewalls are really turned off then I am puzzled about what would prevent ping.

If you have configured IP address 10.1.2.254 on the switch then it might be helpful to see if each PC can ping the switch, and to see if the switch could ping each PC.

HTH

Rick

As I was typing my most recent response I missed the new response from you that you turned off firewall again and now ping works. That is very good news.

HTH

Rick

I manually off again defender, on 1 pc avast idk why but launched himself, off him again and check ping, and it works.

I think now should work, thank you

did you Turn off the PC FW and test.

BB

Everything works great now

Glad all working as expected, so we mark it as a solution if no other queries you have related to the question asked here.

BB

Thanks for confirming that everything works great now. Glad that our suggestions were helpful. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card