cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 and event manager (need to schedule reboots)

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

While I work out the issue with a Cisco 2960 switch we have in a small office I need to schedule a weekly reboot of it, but event manager doesn't work.  I have only ever used it on a router before, so maybe the switch isn't supported?

Basically users can't print at times and the reboot of the switch fixes this, so a weekly reboot takes the pressure off while I find the root cause.

Normally I use something like this (daily reboot script):

event manager applet DailyReload

event timer cron cron-entry "0 5 * * *"

action 1.0 reload

but get 

C2960(config)#event ?
% Unrecognized command

Switch info:

WS-C2960-48TT-L

15.0(2)SE5

C2960-LANBASEK9-M

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey EEM is not supported on 2960s , just use reload schedule at

example -reload at 20:00 feb 1 reboot

Just out of interest why is the switch needing a reboot do you see anything in logs , is the cpu maxing out each week at certain time ?

I think that is a one time reboot though which I have been doing.

The logs show nothing, cpu, mem are fine, I've tried different IOS file too.  Switch can be fine for weeks at a time, then out of hours we will get a call as that office works nights that they can't print and it will only be certain users too.  Rebooting the users PCs don't help, if I reboot the switch then all is fixed, oh and I can connect to the CCTV after too.

Weird eh, some sort of broadcast issue?

Yes its a pity EEM is not supported a capture of the show proc cpu sorted during the issue would give us an idea but unfortunately only some models support eem like xvrs , not all 29s do as there access layer low end user switches

what about stp did you check are there changes constantly happening that could jam up  a switch as well

show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr|from|is exec

The reload schedule will allow you to boot it once a week but you will need to set it each time its done , its not automatic like EEM

Yeah rebooting it will clear all processes so need to capture the outputs as it occurs from console before rebooting to try understand what's causing it

I will check the CPU, Mem and spanning tree, but is the only switch and do a show logging.

Anything else?

Thanks

if its the only switch you should be good for STP , multicast can be an issue , whats the interrupt in the cpu output when you checked the last time was it high ?  five seconds: 23%/0% that number highlighted

If there is no cef enabled or available traffic will be software switched not hardware which will push all the burden on the cpu and using multicast can increases that  chance of that

Unfortunatly no debug netdr either on 2960 to see whats being punted to cpu

is cef enabled or available on that platform , your using cctv is there specific pim or igmp setup to manage this traffic

show process cpu sorted

show process cpu history

show int switching

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card