Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960G No LANBASE-ROUTING Feature

markrebuldad
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir(s),

I need some help on one of our switches (WS-C2960G-24TC-L). When I try to turn on the lanbase-routing feature using sdm prefer lanbase-routing, it gives me an error (Unknown command). I tried "sdm prefer ?", and lanbase-routing wasn't there (only qos, default and dual IPv4 & IPv6). The switch is running on image C2960-LANBASEK9-M version 12.2(50)SE5.

We have another switch (WS-C2960S-24TS-L), running on image C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M version 12.2(55)SE5, and I can enable lanbase-routing feature. If I upgrade the WS-C2960G-24TC-L to version 12.2(55)SE5, will it be able to do inter-vlan routing? Or is the switch itself totally limited to VLAN configuration only?

Thanks!

MARK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Routing was not introduced on this box until version like 12.2.55 so upgrade and retry it .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

29xx switches are Layer 2 only.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Patrick,

Yes, indeed. 29xx switches are Layer 2 only, but some models in this series do have inter-vlan routing (compare LANBASE image to LANLITE images for 29xx series, so you would know the difference). Having inter-vlan routing doesnt mean to say that the switch is Layer 3. Some 2960 switches can have a number of static routes configured on them, but no dynamic routes, though. For this case, I just need the static routes, that's why I'm trying to check whether upgrading the IOS on my

WS-C2960G-24TC-L will have the inter-vlan routing feature.

Thanks

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Routing was not introduced on this box until version like 12.2.55 so upgrade and retry it .

Hi glen,

Guess I just have to try that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card