cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960x Switch questions

jasonw
Level 1
Level 1

We just bought about 15 or so new 2960x switches for our desktop users.

We are replacing some very old 10/100 3560's.

So anyway I'm having a lot of issues with a few of them I'm configuring with the Flex Stack modules.

I made a stack of 3 this weekend. and I kept having problems with each of them fighting over being the master. It just didnt work out unless I only had 2 in a stack. if I had 3 of them. I just could get them to behave well.

I upgraded the software on each of them. to 15.2.2E6. According to the download sections that is what is recommend.

But I'm wondering what I can do to fix this issue. I have 3 diffrent models. mostly cause of up link port requirements.

this is what I'm trying to stack and 1 and 3 keep fighting for master. 1 and 3 are the 2 with the Ten gig up links.

switch 1 provision ws-c2960x-48lpd-l
switch 2 provision ws-c2960x-48lps-l
switch 3 provision ws-c2960x-48fpd-l

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before powering up the new stack for the first time, it is highly recommended that if you want switch 1 to be the master, switch 2 to be the secondary and switch 3 to be tertiary, the best method is to power up each member of the switch one at a time in the order you want them to be. 

In English:  Power up switch 1 first, wait for about 10 seconds, power up switch 2, wait for another 10 seconds, and then power up switch 3. 

This will guarantee that the stack master election will elect switch 1 because switch 1 was powered up first. 

Once all the stack members have joined the stack, manually configure the priority to ensure the same:  

config t
switch 1 prio 15
switch 2 prio 13
switch 3 prio 11
end
wr
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card