Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Stack Switches adding Two More Stack switches with SFP

sivaalthi85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Guys Can you please help with me Configuring Stack switch with Fibre ports.

Actually, On second floor we have got 4 cisco 3750 switches which are stacked allready and now we would like to add 2 more switches in the 1 st floor because of more users coming to add soon. We are planning to run fibre cable from 2nd floor to 1st floor and the two switches to be stacked and must be sharing same configuration from the Master switch ( Stack member ).

I have no much knowledge about the Fibre and SFP Ports. Could you all please explain how to connect the fibre at both ends, I know we use SFP to connect fibre at both ends but seriuosly I have no idea how to connect at both ends.

Regarding the Stack, I knew that all Switches need to have same IOS and Image.

Please help me with fibre connection what type of cable I need and what are the steps I need to follow.

Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated.

If you guys need any more information from me, I'm happy to provide.

Once again Many Thanks,

Regards,

Chinnu.

9 Replies 9

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

First of all you will need a stacking cable.

For Stacking with Switch please see this link.  That might help u.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2050439

Jawad

Hi jawad,

Thanks for your link. i will go through and if I need any help will let you know.

Thanks,

Chinu

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Actually, On second floor we have got 4 cisco 3750 switches which are stacked allready and now we would like to add 2 more switches in the 1 st floor because of more users coming to add soon. We are planning to run fibre cable from 2nd floor to 1st floor and the two switches to be stacked and must be sharing same configuration from the Master switch ( Stack member ).

You can't stack switches located on different floors because there's no stacking cable long enough to do it.

I have no much knowledge about the Fibre and SFP Ports. Could you all please explain how to connect the fibre at both ends, I know we use SFP to connect fibre at both ends but seriuosly I have no idea how to connect at both ends.

If you want to connect two seperate stacks together using fibre, I'd recommend you try using Etherchannel.

Hi leo,

Thanks for your response.

I have attached a picture for the better idea what we been thinking.

I want to add 2 new stack switches in the ground floor on the first floor all the switches are stacked and runing fine.

Your proposed switch stack on the ground floor doesn't make any sense.

Both switches look like they are NOT stacked.  Unless you are trying to physically separate both networks, I'd stack them.

Next, I'd like to know HOW MANY fibre optic will you be using, if this is two, then I'd recommend you terminate one fibre optic link to each of the stack switch members and configure Etherchannel.

On ground floor the two switches will be stacked and frm Fibre patch we will be using to cables one for each switch.

On ground floor the two switches will be stacked and frm Fibre patch we will be using to cables one for each switch.

Stack these two switches to form one logical switch.

You also may want to consider stacking the four switches together too.

Then configure Etherhchannel. 

Stacking switches I got an idea but what about the SFP Ports?

Could you please explain how to connect the fibre? which end transmiter and receiver ?

Fir of all you will need Insert SFP transceiver then you will insert that into the socket of 3570.

After that u will need compatible fiber patch cord for SFP transceiver that will work

Jawad
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card