Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 Stackpower Cabling

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I just wanted to check if there is a certain way that the stackpower cables need to be connected between 2 switches in a stack. I currently have a stack whereby the top stackpower port on switch 1 is connected to the top stackpower port on switch 2 and the bottom stackpower port of switch 1 is connected to the bottom stackpower port of switch 2. So they are connected A to A and B to B. 

From what I have read the ports and cable colours do not matter unless connecting to an XPS. Is this correct?

Can someone please confirm? Thanks

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As long as the switches are stacked, and they can see each other, I don't think it makes a difference how the ports are connected.

HTH

Hi Reza,

The switches are stacked ok and Stack Topology is showing as Ring so it is working. 

Power Stack Stack Stack Total Rsvd Alloc Unused Num Num
Name Mode Topolgy Pwr(W) Pwr(W) Pwr(W) Pwr(W) SW PS
-------------------- ------ ------- ------ ------ ------ ------ --- ---
Powerstack-1 SP-PS Ring 1430 40 400 990 2 2

The reason that I have questioned this is that all the Cisco documents shows the stackpower cables connected A to B but doesn't state they they shouldn't be connected from A to A.

Thanks

I'm just looking at this further and I found the following Cisco document which shows different stack power cabling. See Figures 8 and 10.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/installation/guide/b_c3850_hig/b_c3850_hig_chapter_010.html

Figure 8 shows the stack cables going from port A to B, however, Figure 10 shows a mixture of A to A, B to B and A to B between three switches. I take it from this that it doesn't really matter how the stackpower cables are connected? I just want to ensure that the devices are cabled correctly.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card