cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500 Standby Sup In Disable Mode

t812313
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4510R+E and the redundant supervisor has old IOS code that is older than the IOS on the active sup, With both plugged in the standby sup is disabled and thus I cannot copy the active IOS to the standby to make them the same. How can I get the IOS thats on the active sup to the standby when I cannot access it. When I console into the standby I get nothing, I have rebooted the standby and can see it load up and see the IOS is way older than the Active, it eventually boots up but I cannot do anything on it. idea's?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@t812313 wrote:

I was wondering if I rebooted the standby, broke the boot cycle and from rommon mode was able to upgrade the IOS 

If you can break the boot cycle into ROMmon this means that you are physically near the supervisor card.  If this is the case, the fastest way is to upgrade the IOS using the Mgmt interface of the card.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a spare chassis to put the second sup in it and upgrade it?

The other option maybe is to unplug the working sup (in a maintenance window) and let the chassis boot to the current standby sup, upgrade to match the other sup, configure the sup with SSO, reinsert the other sup into the chassis and reboot the chassis with both sups.  If all goes well, you should see the 2 Sups in redundant mode (show redun will show you that). At this time you can switch to make the other sup the primary.

HTH

so outside of the 2 options, no way to upgrade it while in the current chassis? I was wondering if I rebooted the standby, broke the boot cycle and from rommon mode was able to upgrade the IOS 

@t812313 wrote:

I was wondering if I rebooted the standby, broke the boot cycle and from rommon mode was able to upgrade the IOS 

If you can break the boot cycle into ROMmon this means that you are physically near the supervisor card.  If this is the case, the fastest way is to upgrade the IOS using the Mgmt interface of the card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card