Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 Fan Tray Upgrade

JakeT1991
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 6509 and have purchased a Sup32 and WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN2 (to replace the standard tray - WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN).

Unfortunately when I try and slot the new tray in, there is a 1 - 2mm gap at the bottom and it doesn't connect with the back plane connector properly. Comparing the trays side by side reveals no obvious reason why it wouldn't connect and I've checked for any debris in the switch that might stop it lining up properly. The original fan tray slides in and out without problem and the new tray is brand new so I'm really baffled.

Does anybody have any advice/suggestions? The first thing that I thought was that there must be some protector that you need to remove before installing it but again, I can't see anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

Jake Turner

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jake,

If there is a 1 - 2mm gap, its fairly small - although totally understand the concern when it doesn't slot into place. If you lined them up and they look identical/similar, I dont see a reason why it shouldn't fit. Perhaps it doesn't slot in because of that 1 - 2mm gap? Try raising it or lowering it to see if it seats properly (slightest difference might work). I had to jiggle it a little to slot it in place.

Have you also tried slotting the old fan tray back in?

Another thing... Do the scr3w line up with the chassis? (Post would **** out the word :-/ Ha!)

In any case, I'd contact Cisco TAC to see what they have to say.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jake,

If there is a 1 - 2mm gap, its fairly small - although totally understand the concern when it doesn't slot into place. If you lined them up and they look identical/similar, I dont see a reason why it shouldn't fit. Perhaps it doesn't slot in because of that 1 - 2mm gap? Try raising it or lowering it to see if it seats properly (slightest difference might work). I had to jiggle it a little to slot it in place.

Have you also tried slotting the old fan tray back in?

Another thing... Do the scr3w line up with the chassis? (Post would **** out the word :-/ Ha!)

In any case, I'd contact Cisco TAC to see what they have to say.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi BilalBilal Nawaz,

Thanks for your quick reply. I went to check whether the screw holes line up correctly and to be honest, lost my temper a little bit. I pushed the tray in pretty hard and it seated itself correcly and the fans started spinning.

I'll just have to be a little more forceful in future

Thank you so much.

Jake Turner

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card