Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 SUP module

rshiva62
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have two Cisco CAT 6506 switches at our data center site. Each switch only has one Supervisor module (VS-SUP2T-10G).  We have purchased an additional SUP module to install into each switch so that we can create a quad SUP VSS.  Before we begin configuration and setup of VSS, we would like to install the SUP engine into the switches.

Can anyone advise of the procedure? Can we just install the SUP module without any downtime? How will the code from the current switch sync with the new SUP?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Suggest below method

1. Take backup config

2. perform the insertion of new modules in maintenance window(so any cosmetic, one time static may cause issue) - so suggest to perform in maintenance window.

3. insert the module, and update to current IOS, if shipped with old version.

reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/supe_gd/01overvw.html#wp1060554

Note : hope both are same like a like super visor modules.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Even with SSO mode, the first sup will not upgrade the IOS on the second sup. So, before you insert the new sup, you want to make sure it has the same IOS as the existing one. Once that is done, the sup is hot swap-able, and can be insert it into the slot but if possible, I would do this in a maintenance window in case something goes wrong. .

HTH

How can I ensure the new SUP module has the existing IOS?

If you have spar chassis, insert it in there and check the IOS.

HTH

I dont have a spare chassis.  I guess the only other option is to plug to a switch in use. Once I do that, how do I upgrade the firmware on that SUP module?

In that case, you can let the second sup boot and then console to it to see the version. If it does not match, try loading the matching IOS using the console port since the sup does not have an out-of-band management port.

HTH

i know sometimes this is bit worrying part in a production environment.

there are 2 ways could be solved as Cisco customer expects.

1. if you buying from vendor or SE, tell them you need to Module with IOS version, they should have chasis to load for you before they shipping.

2. another case cisco TAC also consider, asking when they do RMA, ask for what version the kit running to match IOS and send to the customer for replacement, its easy.

I know some times things not come as expected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

On top of what @Reza Sharifi and @balaji.bandi said, make sure you check the DFC/PFC cards of the existing setup (command "sh module") and compare the output with the output from the the new supervisor card.
I don't believe it is possible to buy Sup720 from Cisco any more so I'm suspecting this is coming from the used market. There are times when the used market have different daughter boards installed.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card