Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6513 Span session Limit

fhoban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a need to capture some traffic but my core 6513's are already using the limit of 2 span sessions. I can't edit any of the sessions either because I want to source traffic from vlans and you can only do one or the other.

Is using a VACL with 'switchport capture' on the destination interface an option ?

E.g. I want to source traffic from vlan 10,20,30,40 and send the all to interface Gi10/10 ?? Anybody used something like this before and is there any caveats ? I dont need to be too granular with the ACL's but just capture all traffic in those vlans.

Appreciate the help!

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

fhoban@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

I have a need to capture some traffic but my core 6513's are already using the limit of 2 span sessions. I can't edit any of the sessions either because I want to source traffic from vlans and you can only do one or the other.

Is using a VACL with 'switchport capture' on the destination interface an option ?

E.g. I want to source traffic from vlan 10,20,30,40 and send the all to interface Gi10/10 ?? Anybody used something like this before and is there any caveats ? I dont need to be too granular with the ACL's but just capture all traffic in those vlans.

Appreciate the help!

Hello ,

2 full span sessions (Rx & Tx) are indeed the limit in 6500 series switch. Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd803e508c.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh

rate if it helps

Thanks Ganesh for the link. However I'm looking for a solution around this issue if possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card