Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 867 Initial Setup

Gebraffe75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Trying to get a recently purchased Cisco 867 router configured and am falling over very early on in the game. My current goal is to get the device configured with an IP and user account so that I can connect via Cisco CP. I have been through the setup routine a number of times but fail when trying to configure an IP address against FastEthernet0. Steps I'm taking:

Running the setup routine.

Setting host name, enable secret, enable password and virtual terminal password.

Configure SNMP - No

I then select FastEthernet0 and try and set the ip and subnet which all seems ok.

When I try to save the message "%IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links FastEthernet0".

Fair to say I'm out of my depth but learning fast. Need some help to get me going. Many thanks in advance for your patience and help!

Regards

Richard

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the 4 fastethernet ports on the 867 are switch ports so they can't get an ip address

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

To put an ip address you must do it on interface vlan 1.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alian,

Thank you for the help. So, I now  understand that an IP address cannot be assigned to switch ports, which  is what I have here. So I now have assigned an IP address to Vlan1, I  could not do this using the FastEthernet 0.1 instruction but had to do  it using the interface vlan 1. Have to say tracking down any resources  on configuring the device is very hard.

Regards

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: