Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 888 license activation

diego.macedo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 888 with C880 Software (C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(20)T6 IOS and License Level advsecurity.

Since I need BGP feature, I will buy advanced ip services license. But, because of purchase delay in our company, I'm evaluating activate the trial license of Advance IP Services (valid for 60 days), configurate the router and later, after the purchase of the license, activate the permanent license.

The question is: What hapen if the purchase is delayed more than 60 days and the trial license expires?, the BGP  configuration just dissapear or the fature set goes down only after router reboot?

Regards

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Suppose -for the sake of discussion- that the answer is: "BGP will continue to run because licenses are only enforced at router boot". That is probably also the answer you wanted to hear.

Now suppose that after the evaluation period has expired, no permanent license has been loaded, and there is a power glitch or router crash, router starts again without BGP and your company suffer a major network down - no a pleasant situation.

So the best approach for stable and guranteed operation, no matter what the details of evalutaion license: either buy and enable the permanent data license, or find a way to do without.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card