Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 vlan question

Davidc2478
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all! I hope this isn't a stupid question. Here goes:

I created a "management" interface vlan on 9300 switch, gave it an IP address and assigned a gateway

That vlan is temporarily assigned to port gi1/0/48

gi1/0/48 is switchport trunk allowed vlan all

I can ping this and connect via telnet. Cool.

On gi1/0/1 I added a new vlan 20 which is named First floor

On that port I plugged a PC which should have grabbed DHCP since vlan 20 goes to a backed DHCP server

The port is up but I'm not getting a DHCP address.

Am I supposed to create a interface vlan called vlan 20 and give an IP in order for the PC to reach the DHCP server?

I appreciate any help you guys can give, I passed my CCNA last year but since then have had little exposure to Cisco since my job uses Extreme. We are starting to now bring Cisco into our environment. Finally! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Update!

I actually am able to get DHCP address and ping out. My mistake was trying to ping from my workstation to that PC and not realizing the firewall on the PC was turned on and blocking pings.

My apologies for not catching this sooner!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on where the DHCP is Located, From Switch are you able to ping DHCP IP address ?

I created a "management" interface vlan on 9300 switch, gave it an IP address and assigned a gateway

what IP address configured here  - is the switch is acting Layer 2 or  Layer 3 ? suggest to post-show run from the switch.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello!

Management vlan has IP 192.168.1.1 /24   this is what we use to telnet into switches and configure/manage

First Floor vlan has IP 192.168.100.1 /24

Yes, I am able to ping the DHCP server which is on another vlan called....Servers. 192.168.20.1/23

Switch will strictly run as Layer 2

First Floor vlan has IP 192.168.100.1 /24

where is this Layer 3 SVI configured ?  high level you need ip helper configured with DHCP Server address.

For better understanding post show run  will help to identify the issue.

BB

Update!

I actually am able to get DHCP address and ping out. My mistake was trying to ping from my workstation to that PC and not realizing the firewall on the PC was turned on and blocking pings.

My apologies for not catching this sooner!

So all good and working, mark as resolved if so.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card