cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 won't recognize sfps after reboot

kevinfowler
Level 1
Level 1

So I installed a 48 port cisco 9300 and all the sfps that we inserted into the slots were recognized.    I had to reboot the switch and now ports 33-48 don't recognize any SFPs we place in the slots.  Any suggestions?

33 Replies 33

Yes it's after the upgrade.   I tried 17.3.6 and 17.3.5.   All the logs say it's been putt into err-disable.   

No the issues got worse after the upgrade to 17.3.6 or 17.3.5 and this is on a different switch that isn't in production so I can test this a little.  

>.... and now I eithewr get the SFP's not recognized or the ports err-disable. 
  - If  the ports err-disable then check the logs (too) , you may find additional info's as to why , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

The logs aren't telling me anything...just that it's putting the port in err-disable.  

- Configure logging trap debugging , also compare rommon version with working switch , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I will try that this morning and get back to you.  

I enabled logging trap debugging and removed the SFP's and plugged them in and I have nothing coming back from the debug.  I did enable the command no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid and service unsupported-transceiver so there aren't any ports going into errdisable mode.  

If the ports are in error-disable, post the complete output to the command "sh interface status err".

I will get you that this morning.   Some of the ports are now going right into err-disable on this other switch while some ports still aren't recognized.  

Cisco Bug: CSCvt73622 - 9200L : Port goes to ERR_DISABLE state with link-flap error after bootup/reload/switchover
I know the platform different but can you confirm the cable length you use with SFP 

Yes the platform is different but these ports are going err-disable with just the SFP plugged in and not even the cable.  I'm at a loss right now.

Ok so I'm about to give up.   I removed the power supplies as one person said in another forum. Rebooted the switch and it saw the SFP.   I then reloaded the switch again and the SFP was gone.   So I then updated from 16.12.8 to Amsterdam 17.3.6.   I took all the SFP's out.   I loaded the switch, put all the SFP's in and it saw them all.   So I rebooted the switch and now they are all gone.   How is this possible?   How can I update a switch or lose power to it without causing a huge outage?  

I also want to make sure that you know these are ethernet SFp's not fiber SFP's.   Again I was able to remove SFP's, reboot switch, put them back in and the switch didn't see them.   When I put another SFP in an unused slot I get an error that say's it's not supported.  

So now I put a CISCO fiber SFP in the port....it saw it.   I rebooted the switch and now it's gone!   I'm on 17.3.6.   

Hold on.  Wait ... Roll back. 

How, exactly, did you reboot the switch?  Did you issue the "reload" command or did you remove the power supplies for 30 seconds?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card