cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500 not recognizing any SFP's when inserted (Including Cisco)

tdavis85
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with a Cisco C9500-48Y4C.  I have two of them in a Stackwise virtual setup, and on one of the chassis I recently started having an issue where any SFP is insert is not recognized.  I don't even get a log message saying that an SFP was installed, and it does not show up on the inventory.  I am mainly using Cisco SFP+ 10GBASE-LR transceivers, but have tried other Cisco GLC-LH transceivers as well with the same result.  This issue started recently but I cannot say exactly when I just noticed it when I went to set up a new link.  Certain port groups are fine, but others are not, i.e. interface twe1/0/1-8 all don't recognize SFP's, but those same SFP's are being recognized in Twe1/0/41 and 42.  The second chassis on the VSL setup recognizes SFP's fine.  I found a Cisco bug affecting release 16.9.1 for this, but I am running 17.4.1 which is listed as a fixed version.  Has anyone else had this issue or found a workaround.  The last reload didn't help.  I am getting ready to upgrade the IOS but was wondering if anyone had this same issue.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@tdavis85 wrote:

but I am running 17.4.1 which is listed as a fixed version.

Try to avoid using single-release only train, like 17.4.X, to avoid any "difficulties".  

@tdavis85 wrote:

The last reload didn't help.

This does not bode well.  

I got a long shot with high probable chance it will not fix the issue(s).

snmp-server view iosfix iso included
 snmp-server view iosfix ciscoEntityFRUControlMIB excluded
 snmp-server view iosfix entSensorValueEntry excluded
 snmp-server community intact10 view iosfix RW 99
 snmp-server community gattaca view iosfix RO 99

Thanks,

I tried this and still having the same issue. I'll upgrade the IOS and if it remains I'll open a TAC case.

@tdavis85 wrote:

I tried this and still having the same issue. I'll upgrade the IOS and if it remains I'll open a TAC case.

Downgrade to 17.3.4 &/or avoid 16.12.X.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- A list of compatible SFP's can be found here :

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?si=C9500-48Y4C

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

They are listed as compatible transceivers.

- One option is to try the utmost-latest release :

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286319589/type/282046477/release/Bengaluru-17.6.1

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

tdavis85
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded to 17.6.1 and am still having the issue so I will open a TAC case. I found it is in interface groupings of 4 that I have the issue, 3 different sets of 4 interfaces, so I'm thinking it may be a hardware problem.  Outside of those 12 interfaces overall, the rest read the SFP's fine.

Hi, I'm facing same errors, but not in a group of 4, but instead a whole bunch of them.

Did you ever get a reply on the TAC case?
Thanks!

I did not, it is going to be a hardware replacement and it is one of our core devices so we have a spare and are just waiting for failure at this point. We migrated all our links off the affected interfaces and haven't had seen the issue spread at all.

Thank you very much for your quick response. I'm afraid we'll need to go the same route.
This is a brand new switch I'm starting to configure. If TAC says otherwise, I'll put it down here.

Cheers!

cajunsausage
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?  I am trying to use a GLC-LH-SMD SFP in my 9500-48Y4C and have the same problem, it's not recognizing it at all!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card