Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traffic utilization

hs08
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

As we know we can get interface utilization using SNMP, but i want to know can we exclude some IP from monitored by SNMP? Let say IP 192.168.100.1 consume high utilization, i want this IP is excluded so SNMP manager will see low interface utilization.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If 192.168.100.1 supports ACL, block the SNMP IP address.

Hi ..

I mean like this, let say we have 3 IP address such as :

1. Client 192.168.100.1 consume bandwidth 10Mbps

2. Client 192.168.100.2 consume bandwidth 20Mbps

3. Client 192.168.100.3 consume bandwidth 30Mbps

If the total bandwidth is 100Mbps, three of that users consume 60Mbps and this mean 60%.

I just want to exclude some IP, let say exclude 192.168.100.3 so how much this IP consume bandwidth this IP will not monitored by SNMP. The final result is i want SNMP manager show the utilization as 30Mbps or 30%

SNMP traffic is "cheap" and does not consume a lot of traffic.  Excluding a client, just to save bandwidth, is not going to result in any performance.  

As what @Joseph W. Doherty said, that will depend on the SNMP product being used.  But, generally, if the IP address is being monitored by SNMP then there should be a mechanism to delete the target IP address from the list.

Hello,

I not talk about exclude the client to save the bandwitdh, just want to hide some IP when they consume high bandwidth when accessing to the internet, so from SNMP manager perspective the utilization showing low.

Ah, basic interface SNMP doesn't "know/track" source or destination IPs.

Something like SNMP monitoring (optional) Netflow stats would have the data, but believe it would rely on the NMS to "exclude" such data.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your NMS, i.e. how it uses SNMP.

This Device send all notifications to SNMP server' so tune trap in device to send selective notifications not all to snmp server  this reduce the use BW 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card